A two-year-old girl died after she 50 feet from the open window of her block of flats during a Ramadan breakfast in Bristol.
The toddler fell from her fourth floor home after she crawled along a breakfast bar close to the kitchen window, according to reports.
Neighbours said they heard her mother scream and race down the stairs to find her daughter on the gravel below.
Paramedics battled to save the little girl outside the council-owned flats in Windmill Hill, Bristol, but she later died at the children's hospital.
It is thought her Muslim parents were fasting for Ramadan and were up early having cooked and eaten breakfast before sunrise, when the tragedy happened.
Friends described the child as 'a lovely little girl' and more than a dozen soft toy tributes and flowers were left near the spot where she fell before 7am on Monday.
Next-door neighbour Paul Sheppard, 40, told the local news agency: "It's so sad – a big shock. Everyone in the flats is cut up about it. She was a lovely little girl.
"On Monday morning I heard her mum scream, then she ran out to get downstairs as fast as she could. The police were round here straight away."
Sarah O'Driscoll, 28, who lives on the floor below with her seven-year-old son Mitchell, said: "It's really scary.
"Having kids, it makes you realise living in flats like this you need to watch them all the time.
"I mean it has been so hot that everyone has had there windows open, you just would never think that kind of thing would happen."
Avon and Somerset police spokesman Wayne Baker said the girl died later in the day and because investigations found no suspicious circumstances, the case has been referred to the Avon Coroner.
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more