Want to make your Christmas table look amazing? Rosie and Hannah from The New Craft Society share their embroidered napkins how to below:
Dressing the Christmas table is a perfect time to add personal, handmade touches. During the festive season everyone attends lots of dinners and parties so it's a perfect opportunity to make sure yours stands out. There are lots of easy ways to do this and browsing blogs or Pinterest will give you loads of ideas. This project is a really simple way to add a handmade touch to your Christmas table. You hardly need any equipment and you can be as creative as you like!
You will need:
• One plain napkin, this can be any colour
• Embroidery thread
• Fabric pencil
• One needle
You need to:
1. First you'll need to pick your design. I went for a simple Christmas tree but your design could be anything, including words. A holly leaf, bells, snowflake or 'Merry Christmas' would all look great.
2. Lightly draw your design on to your napkin using a fabric pencil. This is not a vital step, but it definitely is helpful when it comes to stitching. Don't worry if you can see it around your design, fabric pencils will rub off or will come out in the wash.
3. Tie a knot in one end of your thread and start sewing (starting on the underneath so that your knot is not visible.) To create a continuous line you will need to do a back stitch and for the broken line just a basic running stitch. Try to keep this as neat as you can on the back too, so that it's not too messy when you turn it over.
4. To finish, stitch over your thread twice and tie a small knot. Trim off any excess thread.
5. Enjoy your finished handmade napkins on Christmas day! Something that will add an extra special touch is adding each guest's name or initial – it will give them something to remember the evening by.