Miracle Baby Lexie Survived Horror Barbecue Blast - While Still In Her Mum's Womb

14/08/2014 16:48 | Updated 22 May 2015
Miracle baby Lexie survived horror barbecue blast - while still in her mum's womb

One day, little Lexie Brain will be old enough to know what her mum went through to have her. But for now, she's just as lucky her mother to be alive.

For the gorgeous baby survived a horrific barbecue blast while she was still in her mother's womb.

Mum-to-be Hannah Brain, 27, was standing next to a the gas-fuelled grill when it blew up and engulfed her and husband Dave in a flash fireball.

She suffered third degree burns to her back, head and arms, went into false labour and spent an agonising week in hospital.

Hannah was unable to take morphine because she was in the latter stages of pregnancy and nurses slowly removed the burnt flesh from her body.

Dave, 29, suffered 40 per cent burns as his head, arms and chest were scorched in the blast caused by a faulty gas canister.

The couple feared the blast had killed their unborn daughter - who had stopped moving and kicking inside Hannah - but she was eventually born last October two weeks overdue.

Miracle baby Lexie survived horror barbecue blast - while still in her mum's womb

Both Lexie, who is now six months old, and her parents have made a remarkable recovery after skin graft treatment at Frenchay Hospital in Bristol.

Dave, who works at a breast cancer screening clinic, said: "Considering the accident nearly did her in, she was our miracle baby when she finally decided to come out."

The blast happened at a barbecue at his mum Sue Vickery's home in Fishponds, Bristol last August.

Dave said: "We'd only just got there. Everyone was asking Hannah how she was as she was heavily pregnant when there was a huge explosion.

"We were both thrown to the floor. The gas canister had ruptured and blew the hob up. The whole thing blew up into a big fireball.

"We were stood little more than a metre away at the time but luckily we were facing the other way as the flames came around us.

"It all happened so fast. Next thing I remember I was in the kitchen sink getting water poured over me while Hannah was in the bathroom having the same."

Hannah, also mum to eight year-old daughter Courtney from a previous relationship, was rushed into the shower by her mother-in-law.

She said: "It wasn't until I felt that my hair was gone on the back of my head that I realised what had happened.

"When I came back down Dave was laid out on the floor with the paramedic around him and I thought he was gone."

The couple were rushed to nearby Frenchay Hospital where Dave underwent an operation to scrub away his burned flesh that evening.

Hannah added: "Lexie usually kicked all the time but she stopped moving and kicking when it happened and the ambulance crew didn't have anything on them to be able to see if she was okay. I was panicking until we got to A&E."

Dave said: "When we knew Lexie was fine we were so relieved and then we could just take care of ourselves."

Suggest a correction