PARENTS

Mum Forced To Shave Head After Hair Extensions Were Attached With Super Glue

14/08/2014 17:03 | Updated 20 May 2015

Mum, Alexis Stanton, forced to shave head after having hair extensions attached with super glue

A mum-of-two has had to shave her head to remove hair extensions that were stuck on with super glue.

Alexis Stanton, from Gateshead, decided to treat herself to hair extensions for her 38th birthday, but she was left in agony with a bleeding scalp after a beautician botched the application.

She says she was left with no choice but to shave off all her hair.

"I'm gobsmacked this has happened and I really wouldn't want this to happen to anybody else," Alexis told the Newcastle Chronicle.

"I'm still in pain in my head. It's damaged my scalp. I've cried so much since it happened I don't think I've got any more tears left."

Alexis asked a mobile beautician, who had previously given her spray tans, to fit the extensions as she believed she had been trained in how to attach them.

She says her scalp first began to feel sore halfway through the beauty session - which took place in her kitchen.

By the evening she claims the pain had become unbearable, but she decided to wait it out as she had been told the hair would 'slacken off' and the pain would ease the next day.

When she was still sore 24 hours later, Alexis decided she had suffered enough for fashion and it was time to visit a local hairdressers to get the fibre hair removed.

It was while at Brens Hair Beauty and Tanning salon that Alexis learnt that rather being fixed in with dissolvable keratin based glue, her extensions were attached with superglue - which meant that the hairdresser was unable to remove them.

"I'd had the hair plaited in and then the glue placed on top," said Alexis who is mum to Elana, three, and Kalan, five.

"It was really tight to my head to the point I was in tears. The hairdresser asked me to ring the person who had put them in who told me it was super glue.

"It was so painful I ended up going to A&E and the doctors gave me steroid cream for my scalp. Immediately I knew there was something wrong. It's still red raw now."

Julie Thompson, the hairdresser who assisted Alexis, said that in her 14 years of experience she had never seen hair extensions fitted with super glue.

"You would never, ever use super glue," Julie said. "She has been left with bald spots and was in so much pain she decided to shave them off. My advice would always be to use an experienced salon."​

The beautician who fitted the extensions claimed in a text message sent to the Chronicle that the incident had been 'grossly exaggerated' and Alexis knew she was not a hairdresser when she asked her for the beauty treatment.

The incident is now being investigated by both the police and trading standards.

More:

Mums
Suggest a correction