Celebrate Valentine's Day with these heart-shaped cupcakes with a hidden raspberry inside, frosted with fluffy vanilla icing and homemade raspberry sauce. You don't need a special tin to create these cakes, instead use marbles to achieve the heart shape. Avoid clocking up food miles by using frozen raspberries.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
For the cakes:
125g unsalted butter, softened
125g caster sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
125g self-raising flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp milk
300g raspberries - fresh or frozen depending on the season
For the raspberry sauce:
1 tbsp caster sugar
Half a lemon, juice only
For the buttercream:
250g unsalted butter, softened
500g icing sugar
1 tbsp milk
1. For the cupcakes: Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Pop your cake cases into the 12 holes of a muffin tin.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together, ideally with a hand mixer, until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one by one, followed by the vanilla, mixing well and then add the flour via a sieve. Mix thoroughly then add the milk and mix again.
3. Using two teaspoons divide the mixture equally between each case, add one dollop of mixture before adding a raspberry to each case, then topping with a final spoon of mixture.
4. Nestle a marble in between each case and the side of the tin to achieve the V of the heart.
5. Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes - they are done when a toothpick comes out clean once poked inside the cake. Allow to cool.
6. For the raspberry sauce: Put the remaining raspberries, sugar and lemon juice in a pan and heat gently until the fruit breaks down.
7. Allow to cool then blitz in blender and pass through a sieve and set aside in the fridge until needed.
8. For the buttercream: Using a mixer combine the butter and icing sugar and milk until you have a super creamy and light buttercream.
9. Spread each cupcake with enough buttercream to give it a smooth layer, making sure you keep within the lines of the heart-shaped case.
10. To decorate: Fill a disposable piping bag with some raspberry sauce and pipe a heart on each cupcake then serve on pretty plates.
Tip: If you have surplus buttercream and raspberry sauce simply package up and freeze for another day.
Suggested For You
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements. Learn more