Celebrate Valentine's Day with these heart-shaped cupcakes with a hidden raspberry inside, frosted with fluffy vanilla icing and homemade raspberry sauce. You don't need a special tin to create these cakes, instead use marbles to achieve the heart shape. Avoid clocking up food miles by using frozen raspberries.
Prep Time:30 minutes
Cook Time:25 minutes
For the cakes:
125g unsalted butter, softened
125g caster sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
125g self-raising flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp milk
300g raspberries - fresh or frozen depending on the season
For the raspberry sauce:
1 tbsp caster sugar
Half a lemon, juice only
For the buttercream:
250g unsalted butter, softened
500g icing sugar
1 tbsp milk
1. For the cupcakes: Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Pop your cake cases into the 12 holes of a muffin tin.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together, ideally with a hand mixer, until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one by one, followed by the vanilla, mixing well and then add the flour via a sieve. Mix thoroughly then add the milk and mix again.
3. Using two teaspoons divide the mixture equally between each case, add one dollop of mixture before adding a raspberry to each case, then topping with a final spoon of mixture.
4. Nestle a marble in between each case and the side of the tin to achieve the V of the heart.
5. Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes - they are done when a toothpick comes out clean once poked inside the cake. Allow to cool.
6. For the raspberry sauce: Put the remaining raspberries, sugar and lemon juice in a pan and heat gently until the fruit breaks down.
7. Allow to cool then blitz in blender and pass through a sieve and set aside in the fridge until needed.
8. For the buttercream: Using a mixer combine the butter and icing sugar and milk until you have a super creamy and light buttercream.
9. Spread each cupcake with enough buttercream to give it a smooth layer, making sure you keep within the lines of the heart-shaped case.
10. To decorate: Fill a disposable piping bag with some raspberry sauce and pipe a heart on each cupcake then serve on pretty plates.
Tip: If you have surplus buttercream and raspberry sauce simply package up and freeze for another day.