The family of a nine-year-old boy who was killed by a speeding driver have reacted with fury after the man's 21-month jail sentence was cut almost in half.
Redwan Uddin was riding on the handlebars of his brother's bike as they played near their east London home when Uddin, 23, crashed into them at 39mph in a 20mph zone.
He had been driving in East Ham, near the brothers' home, when he lost control of his Mazda on a speed hump and ploughed into the boys in June 2012.
Waseem fled the scene and dumped his car but later turned himself in to police.
He was jailed for 21 months at Snaresbrook crown court in November but on Tuesday had his sentence cut to 12 months by appeal judges.
It means he could be released after serving six months following his conviction for causing death by careless driving.
Lady Justice Rafferty, sitting with Mr Justice Collins and Judge Nicholas Hilliard, said Waseem was 'extremely remorseful', and pointed out the crash occurred as Redwan was perched on the handlebars of a bike, without a helmet, travelling the wrong way down a one-way street.
She concluded: "We are confident that 21 months was manifestly excessive."
Waseem was also disqualified from driving for at least 12 months.
The boy's uncle, Abu Ahmed, 25, told of the family's 'devastation' at the new sentence.
He told the Evening Standard: "We have lost faith in the British justice system. It's a joke. We applied to have the 21-month sentence lengthened but we didn't even get a reply. He appeals and he has his sentence halved.
"We have to live with this for the rest of our lives and he could be out after six months. The justice system favours the criminals and not the victims."
Suggested For You
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements. Learn more