PARENTS

Teenage Girl Is 20th Victim Of Fake Ecstasy Pills

14/08/2014 16:51 | Updated 22 May 2015

Teenage girl is 20th tragic victim of fake ecstasy pills

A teenage girl has died after taking fake ecstasy pills – the 20th such tragedy in the UK.

Demi Campbell, 18, died after taking the pills, called Green Rolex, at a house party on Monday night.

Demi's mum Anne-Marie and brother Lorne, 21, and sister Chloe, 14, were being comforted by family at their home in Alexandria, Dunbartonshire.

Her devastated uncle, David McChesney, said: "You can't stop kids being kids and they always think they are invincible but I'd like to think that Demi's death will make a difference.

"She was just your average teenager – a very outgoing, happy and friendly girl who was enjoying her life.

"This has destroyed the family. Everyone should learn from what has happened."

Demi died on Tuesday after taking the pills at the party with two male friends, aged 21 and 25, and her 18-year-old cousin Sean McGrogan.

The three men were taken to hospital and doctors are still treating the 25-year-old.

Supt Grahame Clarke, from Police Scotland said: "Public warnings have been issued recently in relation to the dangers of taking ecstasy, or tablets being passed off as ecstasy.

"They are illegal and could contain a cocktail of toxic ingredients.

"The exact contents of the pills are unknown but they could contain dangerous chemicals and users need to be aware of the dangers and understand the devastating effect they can have."

Demi was the seventh victim in Scotland linked to the drugs over the past two months. It is also feared another eight youngsters have died over the past month after taking the rogue pills in Northern Ireland.

Another batch of fake ecstasy, known as Dr Death, killed five young people in Merseyside and Derbyshire in England.

Richard Stevenson, a doctor in emergency medicine at Glasgow Royal Infirmary, warned the fake pills could give victims a high temperature and hallucinations.

He said: "These symptoms are treatable if help is sought early. "I would urge anyone who begins to feel unwell or feels a more intense high than usual after taking any drug to seek immediate medical help."

More:

Teenagers
Suggest a correction