On average, women go to 23 baby showers over a lifetime – spending £560 on gifts for their pregnant pals.
Until recently in Britain, baby showers were regarded as a way to wash your little 'un, but (no) thanks to our American cousins they are now all the rage over here as a way of getting your baby's first year paid for by your friends.
According to the survey of 1,000 mums by Mothercare three times as many under 25s attend showers as women over 35.
The under 25s are the most generous, spending a staggering £1664.67 compared to those over 35 who spend only £332 in a lifetime.
And of those polled who had their own baby shower in the last year, one in 10 created a baby gift list, mimicking the well- known wedding list.
Over a quarter of mums-to-be revealed the moses basket as the ultimate gift they'd like to receive, followed by a strong supply of baby suits and a beautiful quilt or blanket.
Mothercare's Global Brand & Marketing Director Jude Bridge said: "Baby showers are a growing trend. With our Baby Shower Gift List we can make choosing the perfect gift simple and affordable for everyone".
Mothercare's top 10 gifts were:
1. Loved So Much Moses Basket £54.99
2. Baby K Romper Suit, 2pk, £12
3. Little Bird Patchwork Quilt, £54.99
4. Little Bird Cot Mobile £20
5. Knitted Pom Pom Blanket £19.99
6. First Years Frame, £15
7. Humphreys Corner Record Book, £15
8. Plush Teddy (Lamb/Bunny), £8 each
9. Personalised Moneybox, £20
10. Loved So Much Sit Me Up Cosy, £39.99