These fiery Stromboli buns are the perfect afternoon treat for the Autumn months.
500g white bread flour
10g fast-action yeast
30ml olive oil
Ground polenta for dusting
Ingredients for the filling
6 heaped tbsp tomato purée
1 garlic clove, finely minced
½ tsp salt
1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
1 small red onion, very finely sliced
Small handful fresh basil, roughly torn
125g medium Cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
10 slices Prosciutto ham, torn
1. Place the flour, yeast and salt into a mixing bowl and mix together.
2. Add the water and mix together into a ball shape.
3. Tip the contents of the bowl out and knead into a smooth elastic dough - this should take about 10 minutes. You could use a freestanding electric mixer with a dough hook attachment, which would take about 6 minutes on medium speed.
4. Place the dough into a well-oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and allow to rise until it has doubled in size.
5. Whilst the dough proves, prepare the filling. Mix the garlic, salt, pepper and chilli flakes with the tomato puree.
6. Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/Gas 7.
7. When the dough has risen, sprinkle plenty of polenta on to the worktop and roll the dough out into a square of about 30 x 30cm.
8. Spread the filling paste onto the dough, then sprinkle over the onion slices, torn basil, grated Cheddar cheese and prosciutto.
9. Roll the dough up into a tight spiral, trim the rough ends, then slice into 12 even buns.
10. Fit the buns into the bun tin, spirals facing up - they will be a snug fit. Allow to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes, then bake for 15 minutes.
11. Remove the buns from the oven and allow to cool and crisp in the tin, then drizzle over extra oil and pepper.
Great British Bake Off Winner and chef John Whaite is cooking up a storm with Currys & PC World, as he encourages the nation to get baking with this simple recipe! Visit Currys.co.uk/baking for all of your baking needs.
More on Parentdish:
Suggested For You
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements. Learn more