These pumpkin shaped party snacks are great for serving up for a savoury treat at Halloween.
There's a lot of waste using cookie cutters to stamp shapes out of bread, so why not just use a rounded loaf to give you your basic pumpkin outline?
Any offcuts from making the eyes and mouth can either be nibbled up while you're making them (chef's perks) or put together with the loaf ends and blitzed in the blender to make breadcrumbs which you can put in the freezer to use at a later date.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Makes: 8-10 toasties
1 small tiger bread loaf
Grated mozzarella cheese
Olive oil spray
1. Using a serrated bread knife, cut the loaf into 2cm slices, then pair up two matching pieces to give you approximately 8 sandwiches.
2. With a small sharp knife carve out two eyes and slice a mouth across the bottom of each slice that will sit on the top. If the bread is fresh you should be able to mould it into shape with your fingers. leave the bottom slices plain.
3. Spread each bottom slice with either tomato paste or pesto (I did half of each) then scatter with a layer of cheese. Press the scary face on top to complete the sandwich.
4. Heat a large frying pan, spray with a little olive oil and then place the sandwiches in the pan and cook scary face side up for a few minutes.
5. Then spray the faces with a little olive oil and finish off under the grill until golden and the cheese is bubbling through the eyes and mouth.
6. Cool a little and then serve as part of your spooky supper!
More on Parentdish
Suggested For You
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements. Learn more