PARENTS

Mother Fuming After Tesco Own-Brand Plaster 'Ripped The Skin Clean Off' Her Two-Year-Old's Face

03/07/2015 11:44 BST | Updated 03/07/2015 11:59 BST

A mother has claimed her two-year-old son may be "scarred for life" after a Tesco plaster "ripped the flesh from his face" and the wound became infected.

Kimberley Ambrose, 25, said she put an own-brand Tesco plaster on her son Jake's face to prevent him from touching a scar, he'd been left with after catching chicken pox.

However, when Ambrose took the plaster off her son, she said it tore the skin from his face.

According to Mail Online, Ambrose, from Holyhead, North Wales, said: "I just pulled it off as you would do with any other plaster, but was horrified afterwards.

"It had left a big red raw mark, and you could see exactly where the plaster had been."

skin

Ambrose took her son to A&E and doctors soon confirmed that Jake did not suffer from an allergic reaction.

The mother was given a refund and asked for the 90p Assorted Waterfilm Plasters to be taken off the shelves, however they were not removed from Tesco stores.

Ambrose said she "won't be shopping there again".

Ambrose, who is also mum to Callum, six, said the nurse who examined the plaster agreed that there were visible strands of skin stuck to it.

She added: "It was horrible, it had ripped the skin clean off - I felt awful because I had just pulled it off like I normally would."

SEE ALSO:

No Beach Break For Young Girl Who Is Allergic To Sand

Are You Taking Your Fun, Safety and Security For Granted?

Jake's face has now become infected and his mother is worried he will be "scarred for life".

Since the incident happened on 22 June, Jake has been prescribed a course of antibiotics.

Ambrose said she had decided to share her story as she wanted to raise awareness about the potential issue with the plasters.

She said, according to The Mirror: "I don't want any other families to go through what we have gone through."

sa

A Tesco spokesperson said: "All our plasters are CE marked and undergo rigorous independently verified checks to ensure they are safe to use for both adults and children.

"We would like to assure customers that we have had no other complaints of this nature for the product and we are urgently investigating this with our supplier.

"We appreciate this is a distressing situation for Ms Ambrose and we'll continue to keep her closely updated on our investigation."

Newborn Photos To Get In The Hospital