YOUNG VOICES

Student Eloise Parry, 21, Died After Accidental 'Diet Pills' Overdose, Coroner Rules

23/07/2015 14:41 BST | Updated 23/07/2015 14:59 BST

A mother has spoken out after her daughter died from an accidental overdose of "diet pills" thought to contain high quantities of an illegal substance.

Eloise Parry, 21, was a student at Glyndwr University and on course to study a Masters when she finished her degree.

An inquest into her death heard that she messaged a college tutor on the morning of her death, writing: "I think I am going to die".

eloise parry

Eloise Parry

Eloise’s mother Fiona told Good Morning Britain on Thursday: “I’m hoping it will bring us a bit of closure. Before I lost my daughter this is something I knew nothing about.

"As a result of losing her, I would very much like to see much tougher and much bigger consequences for those selling these drugs.

“If you are taking them: stop. They are going to mess you up badly on the inside.

“The people that sell them to you just want your money. They don’t care about your health.”

Tests revealed the pills contained a quantity of dinitrophenol, also known as DNP.

Shortly after her death, Interpol issued a global warning over the tablets.

Eloise's GP told the inquest that Eloise knew of the risks posed by taking DNP, but that she had "no apparent ability" to stop taking more pills.

The coroner John Ellery ruled her death as being caused by accidental overdose, and promised to write to the health minister to outline the risks from "diet pills".

He said: "If the minister considers it appropriate to see whether DNP should be a classified substance that would be an appropriate outcome from this inquest."