EE has issued a recall notice for a batch of Power Bar battery chargers after it exploded and left a medical student with severe burns.
There 500,000 units in a batch but EE say it has only "identified a very small number of incidents."
Since April, EE have been handing out these portable chargers free to customers who were promised an exchange service that allowed users to swap flat Powers Bars for fully charged ones at their local EE store.
In a statement, EE said it has:
"identified a very small number of incidents where Power Bars have overheated, all of which relate to batch E1-06 (written as Model:E1-06 on the side of the device), and could pose a fire safety risk.
"We're therefore recalling batch E1-06 and request that customers stop using them and return their device to a local EE store at their earliest convenience.
"Power Bars from any other batch aren't affected by this recall.
"It's our intention to replace these chargers once we've completed our investigations; we'll be in touch once these have been concluded. We're really sorry for any inconvenience this may cause."
- EE's Free Portable Phone Charger Is Back In Stock
- Starbucks Wireless Charging For Phones Built Into Tables UK Stores
- Nokia's Wireless Charging Trousers: The Absurdist Tech Clothing Of Your Dreams
- Power Pillow: Comfy Gadget Has A Built-In iPad Charger. But Is It Any Good?
- iPhone 5 'Trunk' Charger Is Simply Amazing
Aberdeen resident and medical student, Katy Emslie suffered from a series of burns to her hand after leaving her Power Bar to charge overnight.
The battery pack overheated and then set fire to her room.
“I woke up in the middle of the night to what sounded like a firework, got out of bed and looked down to see flames coming out from under the bed," she told The Press and Journal.
“I was terrified, I started screaming, thinking my house was going to catch on fire.
“I was trying to put the flames out in a panic with my hands, I didn’t want it to reach my bed or go through the floor.
“My hand has been cleaned up, and the blisters have been removed, but it’s still pretty raw.”
EE are reportedly handing out £20 voucher to affected customers.Suggest a correction