When it comes to talking openly about mental health issues, sufferers can often be lost for words - even when talking to those closest to them.
But this comic perfectly sums up what it feels like to have anxiety and depression. And we hope it can be used as a starting point when trying to put words to often indescribable feelings.
The comic was created by Nick Seluk (AKA The Awkward Yeti) as part of his Medical Tales Retold series, where he hopes to normalise medical topics through his illustrations.
"By taking medical issues and adding a sub-storyline to each one, my goal is to teach, entertain, and/or normalise medical topics," he tells HuffPost UK Lifestyle.
"Mental illness fits perfectly into this, it just isn’t as widely understood. It’s easy to see someone’s gaping flesh wound and be like 'oh that probably hurts pretty bad, let’s fix that' but mental illness requires either experience, or a much more advanced sense of empathy."
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW LIFESTYLE
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements. Learn more
Seluk encourages people to submit ideas for him to transform into comics. This particular story was submitted by Sarah Flanigan.
"I liked Sarah’s story because everyone has felt anxiety or depression, but most people don’t know that it can be constant and debilitating to the point that willpower alone will never be enough."
Useful websites and helplines:
- Samaritans, open 24 hours a day, on 08457 90 90 90
- Mind, open Monday to Friday, 9am-6pm on 0300 123 3393
- Get Connected is a free advice service for people under 25. Call 0808 808 4994; email: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the website getconnected.org.uk
- Young Minds offers information to young people about mental health and emotional wellbeing
- HopeLine runs a confidential advice helpline if you are a young person at risk of suicide or are worried about a young person at risk of suicide. Mon-Fri 10-5pmand 7pm-10pm. Weekends 2pm-5pm on 0800 068 41 41
- HeadMeds - a straight-talking website on mental health medication