Capitalism has officially reached a new, high? Someone has set what might be the world record for most money spent on a smartphone.
There are plenty of stories out there about disgruntled parents who've just discovered their darling 4-year old spent £500 on 'Ultra Berries' but that's nothing compared to this. Try spending £500,310.
Well that's precisely what one 'mover and shaker' did thanks to the BullionVault app for Android. That app name should give you some clue to what they bought as well: gold.
Smartphones mean that you're no longer limited to using 'serious' devices like computers and handshakes to spend that kind of money, instead you can just open up your app and casually drop half a million on 21.4kg of gold bullion vaulted in Switzerland (if you must know).
- In App Purchases...Like Stealing Candy From a Baby... Oh Wait...
- These Are The Most Expensive Apps In The World
- Amazon Underground For Android Phones Removes In-App Purchases For Thousands Of Apps
- Google To Refund Millions To Parents Billed For Children's In-App Purchases
- Apple Hits10 Billion In App Store Sales In 2013
This absurd app is actually pretty popular too, because it operates 24/7 BullionVault say they process over $100m in transactions every single month.
It should come as no surprise then that the company's previous record was just as high, a gold purchase of £365,000 back in 2013.