TECH

Father Posts Terrifying Picture On Facebook Of Burnt Pillow After Son Charges Gadget

25/11/2015 09:05 GMT | Updated 26/11/2015 12:59 GMT

Dwayne Blanchard reportedly got the scare of his life after he started to smell burning coming from the top floor of his house.

Wondering what the smell was he went upstairs and was shocked to discover that his child's pillow had caught fire. How? Charging a Bluetooth speaker.

So I've just been running round the house stark bollock naked because the fire alarm was going I could smell the smoke...

Posted by Dwayne Blanchard on Thursday, 19 November 2015

Posting the picture on Facebook, Dwayne's stark reminder of the dangers of charging smartphones, tablets and gadgets in warm environments has already gone viral with over 20,000 shares.

Writing underneath the post, Dwayne says:

"So I've just been running round the house stark bollock naked because the fire alarm was going I could smell the smoke but didn't know where from checked the boys room to find Brandon's pillow on fire because he left stuff charging on it how many times have I said don't charge stuff on or under your pillow !!!"

Speaking to The Huffington Post UK, Mr Blanchard said that he was surprised but glad that the post went viral in the hope that it'll raise awareness for the dangers of using potentially unlicensed or dangerous electronic equipment.

Mr Blanchard recommends that all homeowners and parents check their children's gadgets, make sure they're being charged by the right cables and plugs and that all smoke alarms should be checked. While unassuming, they can save lives.

Dwayne's experience isn't a lone case. Incidents of USB chargers causing phones to overheat or even the chargers themselves catching fire has become a worryingly common occurrence.

Official advice from experts is to make sure that you're charging your phone or tablet in an open and cool environment and to only use EU approved USB chargers and cables. That means buying officially licensed products from widely trusted brands.

SEE ALSO: