Hoverboard Explodes After Spontaneously Catching Fire On Owner's Driveway

Posted: Updated:
Print

Hoverboards are great aren't they. Yes, their name is a cruel trick, but once you get on them and that sense of imbalance and social awkwardness fades you soon forget the insignificant fact that nothing about them actually hovers.

There is however a problem. Firstly, the meanies over at the DVLA have deemed them illegal for anything other than your garden path and secondly, they keep exploding.

hoverboard explodes

The first part is not that concerning, eventually someone at the DVLA will have the good fortune to ride a non-exploding hoverboard and realise that actually their legs are now redundant.

SEE ALSO:

The second part is slightly more concerning though because as US resident Timothy Cade found out first hand, there's nothing more terrifying than watching your childhood dream quite literally go up in flames.

Having spent $500 on Amazon on what he assumed was a legitimately safe hoverboard, Cade was horrified when one day it simply decided to catch fire.

Not content with simply catching fire, the battery then decided to ignite and shortly thereafter explode.

hoverboard

Hardly a dream scenario, and even more terrifying when you think what might have happened if Cade was actually using it at the time. The source of the problem is that at present, plenty of companies are claiming to sell the 'original' hoverboard, but many are using complex electrical parts which just simply aren't up to the job.

In much the same way that cheaper components in USB chargers are causing our gadgets to catch fire, cheap components in hoverboards are causing them to overheat and explode.

So what's the lesson from all this? We'd wait until hoverboards can actually hover.

Also on The Huffington Post

Close
Best Hoverboards
of
Share
Tweet
Advertisement
Share this
close
Current Slide

Suggested For You

Suggest a correction