After years of being nominated without actually taking home an award, Ed finally got his moment in the Grammys spotlight on Monday night (16 February), collecting the Song Of The Year prize for his track ‘Thinking Out Loud’.
Taking to the stage with the chart-topping song’s co-writer, Amy Wadge, he dedicated his award to his parents, who he said had “flown out to the Grammys for the last four years”, joking: “Every year they say… ‘maybe next year.”
Ed also took the opportunity to honour music legend Stevie Wonder, who presented him with the award for his song-writing.
Story continues after the video...
He said: “If you’d have told my 11-year-old, five-year-old self - or any age! - that I’d be receiving an award from Stevie Wonder, then I’d be chuffed, so thank you so much.”
Despite six prior nominations, Ed only won his first Grammy during Monday night’s ceremony, receiving Song Of The Year and Best Pop Solo Performance, both for his single ‘Thinking Out Loud’, taken from his sophomore album, ‘x’.
He beat stiff competition from Little Big Town, Wiz Khalifa, Kendrick Lamar and Taylor Swift, the latter of whom was at hand to excitedly congratulate her friend when his name was announced.
- The Stars Descend On The Grammys Red Carpet
- And The Most Outrageous Outfit Of The Night Is...
- Justin Bieber's Unbelievably Cute Brother Jaxon Steals The Show
- Lady Gaga's Bowie-Inspired Grammys Look Was As Awesome As Expected
- And The Winner Of The Most Outrageous Grammys Outfit Goes To...
- Taylor And Selena Have An Awkward Moment On The Red Carpet
- Taylor Swift Gets The Grammys Off To A Flying Start
- Taylor Swift Responds To Kanye West Diss During Acceptance Speech
- Adele Soldiers On During Grammys Performance, Despite Technical Issues
- Gaga Honours David Bowie With Grammys Tribute Performance
- Rihanna Cancels Grammys Performance At The Last Minute
- Ed Sheeran's Grammys Speech Was As Adorable As Ever
- Kendrick Lamar Stuns With Politically-Charged Performance
Check out all the red carpet snaps from this year’s Grammy awards below...
Also on HuffPost: