An exciting story, and a poignant one in equal measure: a clear blue day, a reliable Boeing 777, and an experienced crew. Then, nothing. You've thought about the paradoxical nature of the story for weeks. You've followed the story on the evening news, you've caught up with it again on a number of websites, you've been thinking about it in the bath and on the way to work. You've brought it up with friends. You've formulated your own theories, rational and nonsensical.
However, I like many, feel that the story has gone too far. The public, thirsty for information have driven the media on to report about the non-story for over a fortnight in a perennial cycle whereby each bit of information drives on excitement and interest further. Essentially news channels are now dedicated MH370 24 hour report stations- nothing else matters much. But the other lesser-reported news deserves equal, if not more scrutiny; so below I have detailed ten other news stories each important and overlooked.1) George Osborne's 2014 Budget.
- Earners now don't pay tax until they earn over £10,500.
- Beer duty cut by 1p; Duty on spirits and cider frozen; Bingo duty halves (to 10%)
- 'Most secure coin in the world' from counterfeiting
- Crimea voters choose to secede in disputed referendum despite last years polls showing no interest in secession.
- G8 leaders boycott Sochi meet, opting for a G7 meeting in Brussels convening without Russia
- Economic Sanctions are tightened
- Still determined to reform the EU
- Two separate polls show Labour's lead at just a single point
- Death toll rises to 14
- 176 people unaccounted for
- Obama declares emergency status
- $8 Billion was cut from the food stamp programme in the US leaving thousands without means for food.
- States pushing individually to overturn cuts
- Michael Gove also to send his daughter to a comprehensive
- Still both highly sought after school
- Key figures such as Danny Alexander and even Andrew Marr (to a controversial extent) speak out against Scottish independence
- As does Kermit the Frog!
So there is life outside the sphere of the Indian Ocean! Who Knew?