Hi there! Thanks for stopping by! In this little blog section I will post recipes for wholesome meals, quick 30 minutes weekday dinners, filling breakfasts and of course desserts, desserts and desserts. Keep on reading and enjoy!
Hopefully the periods of "I'm on a diet" or "I'm on a 30 days cleanse in January" have faded away so we can focus on eating real food which is actually good for you. Rather restricting ourselves and not eating certain things, let's focus on finding balance. Balance between kale & chocolate.
Like lots of you, I usually get home after 6pm in the evening and all I want is have some delicious food and then switch off. Shakshuka a.k.a. tomato baked eggs just does that and it is spot on. It takes 30 minutes to make and you can leave the dishes to your other half.
Quick tomato sauce with onions, garlic, red peppers and spices all topped with eggs. It is as simple as that. I like to add extra greens like fresh spinach, blobs of creamy pesto and toasted pine nuts for extra crunch. Serve with pita or crusty bread as dunking is just so comforting.
Shakshuka - Serves 2
1 teaspoon oil (anything but olive oil, so think sunflower or rapeseed)
1 red onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, grated
1 can chopped tomato
2 bell peppers, cut into small wedges
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
2 handful fresh spinach leaves
Pinch of salt & pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon green pesto
handful of pine nuts, toasted
1. Heat the oil in a big sauce pan. Once it's hot add the onion and sauté for couple of minutes.
2. When it's cooked add garlic and bell peppers and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
3. Now add the chopped tomatoes, oregano, basil, cumin, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and a splash of water and cook it for a good 10 minutes.
4. When it thickened, adjust the taste if needed and stir in the fresh spinach leaves.
5. Make small holes in your sauce and crack the eggs in, one at a time.
6. Put the lid on and cook it for 15 minutes or until the eggs reached your desired consistency.
7. Alternatively you can put the whole thing into the oven at 160C for about 7-8 minutes.
8. Once is ready, scatter the pine nuts on top and place tiny blobs of the pesto next to each egg yolk.
9. Serve with fresh green salad and crusty bread or warmed pita bread.Suggest a correction