The annual Scottish Fashion Awards were held on Monday at the Clyde Auditorium in Glasgow in association with InStyle, and the fashion elite attended in their finery to honour the achievements of the fashion industry's brightest stars.
Now in its seventh year, the Scottish Fashion Awards are a permanent fixture on the official Swarovski Red Carpet Calendar, alongside The Oscars, Golden Globes and Cannes Film Festival - the fashion awards are the fashion event of the year and anyone worth their Mulberry Lana made sure they had a ticket, which in the past has attracted celebrities and fashionistas such as Samantha Cameron, Dame Shirley Bassey, Jonathan Saunders, Henry Holland, Daphne Guinness, Jenni Falconer, Louise Roe, Brix Smith-Start and Laura Whitmore.
This year, VIP guests including Made In Chelsea stars, Proudlock and Millie battled with the paparazzi on the red carpet before enjoying the Moet Champagne reception and awards ceremony, hosted by British style icon, Alexa Chung, who wore Christopher Kane. The ceremony was a very stylish nod to the talented designers, models, photographers and journalists within the Scottish fashion industry and anyone who was anyone was there to support them. Supermodel and face of Dolce & Gabbana, David Gandy, presented founder of the Scottish Fashion Awards, Tessa Hartmann with an Honorary Degree of Doctor from Glasgow Caledonian University for her relentless, international promotion of Scottish fashion. Christopher Kane received Designer of the Year and Hayley Scanlan deservedly received Young Designer of the Year following her increasing success over the past couple of years. Kane said of winning his award: "I am extremely proud and grateful to receive my award. I think that Scotland has such a wealth of great fashion talent from design through to production and the heritage is something that we should all be proud of."
Other winners included Tali Lennox (Model of the Year) and Jonathan Daniel Pryce (Scottish Fashion Photographer of the Year), while actress Karen Gillan received the coveted Style Icon award. Fashion commentator and historian, Colin McDowell was recognised for his invaluable contribution to fashion - he received the prestigious title of Fashion Ambassador - and supermodel, Stella Tennant was congratulated via video message by Mario Testino and Karl Lagerfeld for her introduction into the Scottish Hall of Fame.
The ceremony was complemented by an exclusive Swarovski runway show (brought from Paris to Scotland for one night only) and top performances from Dionne Bromfield (God-daughter of the late Amy Winehouse) and Tallia Storm. Bromfield gave an upbeat performance which got the audience out of their seats and dancing in no time, and the incredibly soulful Tallia Storm, fresh from her performance with Elton John on Sunday evening, mesmerised the crowd with her enchanting voice. Later, VIP guests enjoyed a gala dinner (smoked salmon, fillet of beef, handbag-shaped desserts) with more Moet and Belvedere vodka to fuel some particularly fierce dancing which, thankfully, did not result in any fashion dilemmas despite the army of vertiginous heels.
The Scottish Fashion Awards continue to attract a wealth of fashion industry experts (2012 judges included Fashion Director of The Telegraph, Hilary Alexander; founder of Australian Mercedes Benz Fashion Week, Simon Lock; editor of Vogue.com UK, Dolly Jones; and Dean of the School of Material at Royal College of Art, Professor Wendy Dagworthy) and the prestigious event is guaranteed to remain at the forefront of the red carpet social calendar for recognising talent within the fashion industry - Scottish or otherwise.
2012 SCOTTISH FASHION AWARDS - WINNERS
1. Scottish Designer of the Year - sponsored by Instyle - CHRISTOPHER KANE
2. Scottish Young Designer of the Year - sponsored by The Scottish Fashion Council - HAYLEY SCANLAN
3. Scottish Textile Brand of the Year - sponsored by House of Fraser - DASHING TWEEDS
4. Scottish Accessory Designer of the Year - sponsored by Swarovski - WILLIAM CHAMBERS
5. Scottish Fashion Icon - sponsored by Captial FM - KAREN GILLAN
6. Scottish Communicator of the Year - sponsored by Glasgow Airport - FAYE MCLEOD
7. Scottish Model of the Year - sponsored by Radley London - TALI LENNOX
8. Scottish Retailer of the Year - sponsored by Braehead - SHHH-OOHS (Luxury Shoe Retailer Edinburgh)
9. Scottish Fashion Photographer - sponsored by The Herald and Times Group - JONATHAN DANIEL PRYCE
10. Scotland's New Face - sponsored by Smart of Glasgow - KERRY O'MAY
11. Scottish Graduate of the Year - sponsored by Marks & Spencer - JOANNE MCGILLIVARY FROM HERRIOT WATT.
12. International Designer of the Year (for use of a Scottish fabric) - sponsored by Toni & Guy - MULBERRY
13. Scottish Fashion Innovator sponsored by bareMinerals - BRIAN RENNIE - Creative Managing Director of Basler
14. Fashion Ambassador sponsored by Mercedes-Benz West of Scotland - COLIN MCDOWELL MBE (Author, fashion esteemed fashion journalist and founder of Fashion Fringe).
15. Scottish Hall of Fame 2010 - sponsored by Hartmann Media - STELLA TENNANT.
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more