THE BLOG

The Right-Wing Victory - Can We Really Complain?

26/05/2015 14:40 BST | Updated 22/05/2016 10:59 BST

The election results at the start of the month came as quite a shock. With a Labour-SNP coalition taking the lead at the polls, a Tory majority seemed highly unlikely. However, winning just over 50% of the 650 seats, the Conservative party shamed the pollsters' predictions.

Three days after the election, an anti-austerity protest was held in a close proximity to Downing Street. "Get the Tories out!" read the placards and "Stop the cuts" was echoed amongst the crowds. The controversial "Tory Scum" graffiti on a war memorial stole the media headlines of the demonstration, but it was nonetheless clear that people were unhappy about their new government.

With the Lib-Dems out of the equations, the Conservative party is now at liberty to exercise agendas previously blocked by their lesser Lefties. Scrapping of the Human Rights Act was at the forefront of their new government, with TTIP on the cards for the future. The left are clearly furious about such legislation.

However, it is clear that the majority of the electorate voted in favour of a Right wing government. Even though over 50% of seats represent 37% of the vote for the Tories, when added with the 13% of the vote that UKIP managed to win over, the right collectively has 50% of the vote with two parties. Even Labour's 31% coupled with SNP's 5% or the Lib-Dem's 8%, cannot build a strong Left. Labour, SNP, Lib-Dem's and the Green Party all offered different flavours of Left ideology and often conflicted with each other, but clearly the electorate wasn't sold by any of them significantly. Instead, the electorate favoured the Right.

Before I get accused of being a Right-wing fanatic or supporter, I must clarify that I did not vote for either of the Right-wing parties and my vote was more aligned towards the Left.

My work with the British Chinese Project has exposed me to a wealth of political organisations and people with strong political interests. My own experience when dealing with such people seemed to suggest that more and more people were swaying towards the left; this was not something that myself nor the organisation actively went out to seek, but it just became a common trend. This thereby reinforced my own prediction of a Labour-SNP coalition. Now, many of said people are shocked by the result and turn to protesting against the result, despite the democratic defeat of the Left.

When people with similar political values engage with people with similar views, we become surrounded with a political immersion of our own views and perhaps this misguides our realisation that beyond these parameters of our own construction lies a much different view that is supported by the rest of the country.

Perhaps the majority of the country voted for the Right and now the majority of the country has the Right in power. I for one might not be happy about the result, but perhaps my peers only hold my views, not the rest of the country. It might be hard pill to swallow, but isn't that democracy?