Filo-topped fish pie
It's British Pie Week, but why miss out on all the fun just because you're thinking about calories. At VavistaLife we're bringing you this healthy pie recipe to try this week so that you can avoid pies that are very high in salt and fats; as well as being loaded with an array of hearty fillings.
Our recommended, and easy, low salt, low fat swap is to replace standard short crust pastry with filo pastry.
Try this recipe. Fish pie doesn't have to mean heavy mashed potato. Light, crisp filo-pastry topped, this tomato-based fish pie, with halibut, sea bass and prawns, is a delicious alternative. This recipe serves 6.
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tbsp tomato puree
200ml white wine
400g can chopped tomato
150ml creme fraiche
Handful of chopped parsley
2 tbsp chopped tarragon
6 sheets filo pastry
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C
2. Heat oil and add onion and garlic until soft
3. Add the tomato puree, white wine and simmer for 2 mins
4. Add chopped tomatoes and simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Remove from the heat & stir in the creme fraiche, fish, prawns and herbs, then season.
6. Spoon the mixture into a dish.
7. Unroll the filo pastry and brush 6 sheets all over one side with the olive oil.
8. Gently scrunch up the pastry and lay on the top of the pie filling.
9. Bake for 25 minutes until the pastry is golden and crisp.
More sustainable weight loss and health article can be found at www.vavistalife.comSuggest a correction