Euro 2016 Suspended Disqualification Handed To Russia By UEFA Over Violence Along With £119k Fine

Charges relating to crowd disturbances, use of fireworks and racist behaviour.

14/06/2016 12:11 | Updated 15 June 2016

Uefa has handed Russia a suspended disqualification from the European championship for crowd disturbances in Marseille and fined the team £119,000.

The disqualification is suspended until the end of the tournament meaning they will be kicked out if similar incidents occur within stadiums during the competition. 

A note from Uefa said the charges brought against the RFU related to crowd disturbances, use of fireworks and racist behaviour during England's Euro 2016 opener against Russia. 

Russia's sports minister has reportedly said the team will abide by the ruling. 

Russia has been fined £119,000 and been handed a suspended disqualification over the violent that marred the team's clash with England on Saturday

A statement from Uefa on Tuesday said: “The independent Uefa Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body (CEDB) met today in Paris to deal with the disciplinary proceedings opened against the Russian Football Union (RFU) following the incidents which occurred inside the Stade Velodrome in Marseille, at the Uefa Euro 2016 match against England on 11 June (1-1).

“Charges relating to crowd disturbances, use of fireworks and racist behaviour had been brought against the RFU, and the CEDB decided to impose the following sanctions:

"A fine of €150,000.

"A suspended disqualification of the Russian national team from Uefa Euro 2016 for the crowd disturbances. In accordance with Article 20 of the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations, this disqualification is suspended until the end of the tournament. Such suspension will be lifted if incidents of a similar nature (crowd disturbances) happen inside the stadium at any of the remaining matches of the Russian team during the tournament."

Uefa on Sunday warned that both Russia and England could be expelled from the tournament if the confrontations, which have already lasted three days, continue. 

Hundreds of outraged England fans called for Russia to be stripped of its hosting of the 2018 World Cup after England supporters were attacked in the stands after Saturday’s 1-1 draw. 

England fans were seen fleeing the stands shortly after the final whistle was blown as balaclava-clad thugs punched through a line of stewards before attacking bystanders.

The violence had begun earlier in the day between Russian and English supporters who had been fighting one another for three days. Several Brits were seriously hurt by gangs of Russian fans who were said to be hunting England supporters. On Tuesday GoPro footage was uploaded to YouTube showing Russian hooligans rampaging through the streets of Marseille looking for England fans to attack

Following the violence French prosecutors blamed 150 "ultra violent" Russian supporters for the disturbances. 

Russian MP Igor Lebedev responded to the claims by saying: “I see nothing wrong with football fans fighting. On the contrary, well done to our boys! Keep up the good work!”

Suggest a correction