In an interview with The Times (£), he said: “Would you work across the road? If you could double your wages, by going across the road to a rival would you?”
Revealing he was baffled by the backlash he received by staying with the show, Paul added: “’I haven’t murdered anyone. But I think the Yorkshire Ripper got less press than I did.”
He also claimed he was paid less than £500,000 for his seven years on ‘Bake Off’ while it aired on the BBC, but was unable to confirm the exact amount.
“I’d be happy for the BBC to release the figure to say how much I paid, but I can’t do that,” he said.
However, in an interview with The Sun, Paul insisted his decision to move to Channel 4 was not about the dough.
Paul also revealed producers have made a shortlist of 50 names to replace Mary Berry, and will be helping boses chose the new judge to ensure there is “chemistry”.
Channel 4 poched the rights to air the next three series of ‘Bake Off’ from the BBC in a £75million deal with production company Love Productions back in September.
The BBC recently dropped its biggest hint yet that it will reunite Mary, Mel and Sue on a new baking show, alongside series six champion Nadiya Hussain, who recently signed a contract with the corporation.
Speaking at a BBC press event on Thursday (1 December), BBC Director of Content, Charlotte Moore, said (via The Sun): “There will be more news on what Mary Berry, Mel and Sue and Nadiya are doing next. Watch this space – some exciting news to come.”
The BBC could also block Channel 4’s plans to air a new series of ‘Bake Off’ next year due to a clause in their contract, meaning their possible new show would air unchallenged by the original series.
Love Productions began advertising for contestants earlier this week, with a view to filming the new series of ‘Bake Off’ in the summer.
‘The Great British Bake Off’ concludes on BBC One with two pre-recorded Christmas specials, airing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day.