NEWS

Indian Garden Restaurant That Killed Nut Allergy Sufferer, Paul Wilson, Apologises With Email Advertising New Desserts

'Not so much an apology as an immediate tout for business.'

09/06/2016 19:01

The restaurant whose owner was recently jailed for the manslaughter of a customer with a nut allergy has issued an apology which also advertises their new dessert range.

The Indian Garden in Easingwold, North Yorkshire, sent out an email headed 'Our Apology' that also labelled the outcome of the case "somewhat disappointing".

Mohammed Zaman, 53, was jailed last month for six years for the manslaughter of Paul Wilson, 38, who died after specifically ordering a nut-free dish.

Tom Wilkinson/PA Archive
Restaurant owner Mohammed Zaman (right) leaves Teesside Crown Court.

The email reads: "[We]...sincerely apologise to all our loyal customers for the recent heavy press surrounding the Easingwold branch and the somewhat disappointing decision for our founding father Mr Zaman.

"Mistakes have been made and this is no excuse but now is a time to move on as Mr Zaman so wishes.

"We are now in the process of launching a new dessert menu and have hired an exclusive pastry chef from London to design this. Our philosophy, started by our founder, [Mohammed] Khalique Zaman, was and still is to create real quality Indian cuisine of the highest standard."

"With exhilarating flavours and subtle aromas...Jaipur Spice will transform your perception of Indian food...You'll spot the difference the moment the food arrives ! !"

North Yorkshire Police/PA Wire
Paul Wilson.

Wilson was found dead at his home in Helperby, North Yorkshire, after buying a takeaway containing peanuts.

Richard Wright QC, prosecuting, told the court Zaman had swapped from using almond powder to the cheaper groundnut powder, containing peanuts, in June 2013 but, despite a warning from his supplier, did not warn customers that he was using peanut ingredients.

Just weeks before Wilson died, a 17-year-old girl was treated in hospital for a reaction caused by a peanut allergy after eating a curry from another restaurant owned by Zaman, the court heard.

Tom Wilkinson/PA Wire
Keith and Margaret Wilson, whose son Paul died.

Wilson was found dead at his home in Helperby, North Yorkshire, after buying a takeaway containing peanuts.

Richard Wright QC, prosecuting, told the court Zaman had swapped from using almond powder to the cheaper groundnut powder, containing peanuts, in June 2013 but, despite a warning from his supplier, did not warn customers that he was using peanut ingredients.

Just weeks before Wilson died, a 17-year-old girl was treated in hospital for a reaction caused by a peanut allergy after eating a curry from another restaurant owned by Zaman, the court heard.

She was assured by staff that the meal would not contain peanuts, the jury was told.

Wright said that a week before Wilson's death, a trading standards officer found evidence of peanuts in a meal she had been told was peanut-free and discovered a box labelled blanched ground peanut in the kitchen of Zaman's Jaipur Spice restaurant in Easingwold, North Yorkshire.

Emma Foster, a former customer of the restaurant called the email "one of the most crass excuses for an apology" that was "not so much an apology as an immediate tout for business.

She added: "I am sure it was ‘disappointing’ for Mr and Mrs Wilson to hear of their son’s agonising last moments as he desperately fought for breath on his bathroom floor." 

Suggest a correction
Comments

CONVERSATIONS