Prince died of an opioid overdose, a law enforcement has told the Associated Press.
The iconic singer was found dead at his home in Minnesota back in April, at the age of 57.
Since then, investigators have been looking into the circumstances surrounding his death, with a police official - speaking anonymously to the press agency Associated Press - claiming on Thursday (2 June) that tests show he died as the result of a drug overdose.
Officials had already confirmed that Prince was in possession of undisclosed painkiller medication at the time of his death, with a police warrant discovering that a doctor had prescribed him the medication the day before he died.
Following the 'Purple Rain' singer's death, the Midwest Medical Examiner's Officer ruled out "foul play", saying in an official statement: "As part of a complete exam, relevant information regarding [Prince's] medical and family history will be gathered.
"Gathering the results will take several days, and the results of a full toxicology scan could likely take weeks."
Prince was cremated three days after his death, following a private memorial service, his publicist confirmed at the time.
His lawyer has previously denied the suggestion he died of a drug overdose, insisting he was "not on any drugs that would be any cause for concern".
In the weeks that followed Prince's death, a host of stars have paid tribute in their own way, with fellow pop singer Madonna offering her homage to him at the Billboard Music Awards, performing his song 'Purple Rain' with Stevie Wonder.
Another tribute performance is being lined up for the BET Awards later this month, after the awards show publicly berated Madonna's performance on social media.
Tap the image below to launch the slideshow...
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more