An 18-year-old has been taken into custody on suspicion of dangerous driving after a car ploughed into a group of pedestrians in Kent, injuring nine.
The accident happened on Sir Thomas Longley Road, Rochester, where police had already been called to deal with “nuisance vehicles”.
Heart radio reported that the accident happened on Friday night after a so-called ‘street-race’ at the industrial estate.
More than 20 ambulance staff were brought in to treat those injured in the crash. Four of them, men aged between 20 and 50, were seriously injured.
South East Coast Ambulance Service said it treated nine patients. The most seriously injured were taken to King’s College Hospital in London.
Kent Police said there injuries were not life-threatening.
The remaining five were taken to Medway Maritime Hospital in Gillingham.
Kent police said: “Officers were called to reports of a disturbance involving nuisance vehicles in Sir Thomas Longley Road and, while they were in attendance, a collision took place between a car and a number of pedestrians at 10.16pm.”
Police have reportedly begun a crackdown on speeding drivers in the area.
A weekly dispersal order is said to operate on Friday evenings, enabling officers to tackle the problem, Sky News reported.
Sergeant Scott Lynch, from Kent Police’s Serious Collision Investigation Unit, said: “A lot of people were in the area at the time and we believe that some of them may have video or pictures of the collision.
“I would like to encourage anyone with footage to get in contact with us as it could be vital for our investigation.”