Wonder Woman is back on our screens for the first time in 37 years, after the mind-blowingly awesome trailer for the 2017 release was released at the San Diego ComicCon on Saturday.
With Gal Gadot at the helm, the franchise is back to inspire a new generation of comic book fans and to continue the legacy of the original Princess Diana, Lynda Carter.
Bringing Wonder Woman back from the fringes of Hollywood could not come at a better time, as rival Marvel comics also announced Brie Larson would be taking on the role of Captain Marvel in the studio’s first ever female-led superhero film.
In a year that also gave us Jessica Jones and Gina Carano’s Angel Dust in Deadpool, we hope this is a sign for more female icons fighting their own battles rather than waiting around to be saved by a dude in tights.
Behold 10 reasons why WW is our ultimate girl crush.
1. Wonder Woman was raised by her single mother.
She sculpted her out of clay.
2. She is the daughter of Zeus.
Gods, who were inspired by Greek mythology, then awarded the “clay baby” superhuman powers.
3. Hailed from Paradise Island as princess of the all-female Amazon nation.
Her mother was the Queen Hippolyta.
4. The Amazon nation are the reincarnated souls of women slain throughout pre-history by men.
Reborn as awesome warrior fighters.
5. Creator William Moulton Marston was inspired by the suffragette movement.
With a lot of help and guidance from his wife Elizabeth who insisted the new character must be female.
6. Marston wanted her to be a female icon.
“Not even girls want to be girls so long as our feminine archetype lacks force, strength, and power. Not wanting to be girls, they don’t want to be tender, submissive, peace-loving as good women are. Women’s strong qualities have become despised because of their weakness...” said Marston in 1943.
7. Wonder Woman ran for American President twice.
First in the comics in 1943 and again in 1972. Third time lucky?
8. Wonder Woman is a founding member of the American Justice League alongside Batman and Superman.
Although for a brief period she was resigned to the position of secretary (not cool, guys)...
9. She fights misogynists all over the world, including the woman-hating Doctor Pyscho.
10. Violence is always her last resort.
Preferring to solve problems with love and diplomacy. A true hero.
Also on HuffPost
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more