Are you keen to work from home, but unsure about how to instigate such a change to your working arrangement?
Successful change requires trust. If you can prove to your boss that flexi-working will enable you to be equally, if not more productive, then not only is it possible to have her support you in a new way of working, but you can also inspire others to follow your lead and become a catalyst for much-needed corporate change.
Consider the following preparatory steps before introducing the concept of telecommuting to your superior:
1. Explore what parts of your role could be done remotely.
2. Pre-empt any potential concerns that your boss might have, so that you can creatively find ways to overcome them.
3. Experiment with taking your work out of the office environment to see whether you have the discipline to work alone.
4. Quantify your current productivity and document it as evidence to present to your boss.
5. Practise asking directly and with confidence for what you want before approaching your boss with a flexible work suggestion.
6. Check out the ACAS Advice Leaflet on the right to apply for flexible working http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1616 to see how the new rules can help you state your case.
Once you feel certain that you can successfully prove your ability to work remotely, ask for a trial period to demonstrate the benefits that flexible working can help you bring to your organisation. This will help to warm your boss to the concept before requesting him to commit to it as a permanent arrangement.Suggest a correction