Photography credit: www.cristinarossi.co.uk
You're tired of the same old routine, you're hustling to get bookings and they rarely turn out to be your ideal clients. You feel like you're doing it alone and you're overwhelmed by how much you constantly have on your to do list.
To top it off, you can't remember the last time you did anything differently or spontaneously. It's so easy to fall into the trap of doing something because everyone else is. Or because it's the way it's been for you for years. Yet what worked for you then isn't working for you now. And what works for some doesn't work for all. So you've got to switch it up to move forward. Not just in your personal life, but in your business too.
You know you need to break out of your comfort zone. You know overcoming fear and complacency is what's going to get you to where you want to be. But where do you start? There's thousands of ideas on the Internet of ways to break out of your comfort zone, but you can't see how any of them apply to you and especially to your business. Here are my top 5 ways to break out of your comfort zone that you can start today:
1. Set Goals - What are you aiming for? What does your idea of success look like? If you don't normally set goals or if the ones you do set aren't purposeful, actionable and measurable then that's the very first thing you need to do.
The setting of goals isn't difficult - you just need to think about what you really want and why you want it. Just by setting these you're breaking out of your comfort zone by challenging yourself to dream bigger. I can bet that you've never or rarely allowed yourself to actually vision yourself achieving those things that you've made as a passing comment or even the ones you've kept locked up inside in fear that you'll sound silly or be judged for wanting to accomplish something big. Start with what your ideal life looks like and how that feels. Then break it down into smaller steps you can take to get there. Anything is possible if you want it enough.
2. Go Live - Increasing my visibility on social media by going live in my Facebook Group and on my Facebook page has transformed my coaching business. But it doesn't just build trust with my audience and book me my ideal clients. No, it helps hugely to boost my own confidence. When I first started doing it, I was terrified. What if I mess up? What if no one watches? What if lots of people watch? Every possible thought went through my mind. Now? I do it pretty much every day. It doesn't matter if you're nervous... those nerves go away the more you do it. Just don't let fear hold you back from something that could potentially be a game changer for your business and your self-esteem. If you're used to hiding away behind the keyboard or only doing pre-recorded media, then going live is a great, impactful way to break out of your comfort zone.
3. Invest Big - Small investments in your life and business of time, energy and money all add up. Although, investing big and really committing can take you to the next level. If you've been afraid to dedicate a whole load of your hours and hard earned cash, then going for it, whether it's time blocking or hiring someone, will help you to break out of your comfort zone. It's less scary when you bring it back to the goals you set in Tip #1 that you now know what that will look and feel like.
4. Reach Out/Collaborate - You've likely heard people saying you should focus on collaboration over competition. It's what we all need to empower each other rather than get the dreaded comparison-itus. There are so many ways to team up with like-minded people both on and offline that there's no excuse for you not to try it. If you know you'd benefit from a mentor or that you can help someone else out who in turn could give you the chance to get in front of their larger audience (aka influencer marketing) then it's time for you to take a step out of that complacent comfort zone and contact that person. What's the worse thing that can happen? They say "sorry, no"? That's okay. It won't be anything personal, so don't take it to heart and try again with someone else you admire.
5. Digital Detoxes - We're reliant on our devices. It makes us feel safe and connected. Yet we'd all admit that we'd like to spend less time on them and more in the moment. Whilst they're fantastic for getting us in front of our ideal clients (when we use them intentionally, of course), it's easy to find yourself lost in a vortex of web pages and get distracted from what you're supposed to be doing. So try taking a break from it all. Don't sleep with your phone under your pillow. Don't take your laptop on holiday with you. Don't let your kids take their tablets out to dinner. It's good for all of us. Instead, why not break out of your comfort zone and have an actual conversation. Spend time networking or meet up in a coffee shop. It's still great for your business and your confidence, but gives you the digital detox you need for your sanity once in a while.
5 More Ways to Break Out of Your Comfort Zone
1. Go alone - Attend an industry event or take a new class without a plus one. You'll meet new people there anyway!
2. Make changes - Little things add up to big results, so change one thing in your routine every day that brings you more joy and spontaneity.
3. Throw/Donate - Holding onto things just in case you need them one day? Let's face it, you've been saying that for years. It's time to let them go!
4. Launch - Perfect doesn't exist, so stop waiting and put whatever it is out there. If it fails? Then you've simply learnt what didn't work and you're one step closer to what does.
5. Say No - Stuck in the habit of people pleasing and taking on too much in fear of what others might think? "No" is your new best friend.
For more tips on ways to break out of your comfort zone, go to www.justownthis.com