I cut my teeth grilling, roasting and braising chicken under the sage-like eye of Mark Edwards, group executive chef at Nobu. This is a simple but delicious supper for two, or bash a couple more chicken breasts flat and invite some friends around to join you. I get tips from wine expert Ewan Lacey on how to match this dish to the perfect Bordeaux wine.
PREPARATION: 20 mins
COOKING: 10-12 mins
YOU WILL NEED:
200g tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
Coarsely ground pepper & rock salt
3 tbsp fl at leaf parsley, roughly chopped
2 tbsp light olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
Grated zest of 1 lemon
Vegetable oil, for deep frying
2 large skinless free range chicken breasts
2 large Desiree potatoes, peeled and cut into long matchsticks
HOW TO PREPARE:
1. Mix together the roughly chopped tomato and sliced onion for a quick salad. Season and fold in half of the chopped parsley.
2. To make the gremolata, place ½ tbsp olive oil in a pan and very gently warm the crushed garlic for 3-5 mins. Turn off the heat and add the lemon zest and remaining chopped parsley.
3. Place the chicken in between sheets of cling film and bash flat to 1cm thick all over.
4. For the shoestring fries, half-fill a deep, heavy-based pan with vegetable oil and heat until a cube of bread dropped in sizzles and turns golden-brown in 30 seconds. CAUTION: HOT OIL CAN BE DANGEROUS. DO NOT LEAVE UNATTENDED.
5. Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil until just about smoking then fry the seasoned chicken fast on both sides. Once cooked, remove from pan and rest for 4 mins.
6. Gently drop the potato matchsticks into the hot vegetable oil and fry for 5-6 mins, until golden-brown. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside to drain on kitchen paper. Season with salt.
7. Serve up the chicken and salad, spooning over the gremolata - chips on the side!!
HuffPost Lifestyle is a daily newsletter that will make you happier and healthier — one email at a time. Learn more