It brought home the reality that the BAFTA's were becoming more and more like the Academy Awards, where big bucks Hollywood hype over -rules artistic merit.
Setting up a large film studio in Scotland has long been seen as key to attracting international and British productions. Just two days after this panel in Glasgow, Pinewood announced they were going to build their new studios for film and 'high end TV' in Wales instead of Scotland -- estimated to bring some £90 million to local Welsh businesses alone.
This may come as a surprise to you, but did you know that there is an almost secretive, physical effects company hidden behind a bleak, cheeky corner near Perivale tube station in North West London? I recently went there to speak to the CEO and SFX (Special Effects) Supervisor, Mike Kelt, to see what the place is all about...
Anderson and Revolori participated in a Q&A before the film with journalist and editor Ronald Ockhuysen. Their conversation covered Austrian literature, what happens when you're up for a role in a film against your own brother, and whether or not Dutch people know where Anaheim is located.
An intelligent psychological thriller with a Hitchcockian feel. Alain Guiraudie's assured direction results in a seductive, powerful, menacing and fascinating film. Sexually explicit but not provocative - it isn't about sex, but rather about the complications and dangers that anonymous sex can lead to.
On this day, 20 years ago, the film-maker, painter, sculptor, gardener, author and queer rights activist Derek Jarman died of HIV. One of Britain's leading post-1945 avant garde artists, he is best remembered for his dazzling array of ground-breaking films. But it was as a HIV and queer rights campaigner that I knew him best.
In the process from script to screen sacrifices have to be made. One of the scenes we were all delighted with was a ménage a trois where a woman ends up in bed with one man dressed as the Bristol Rovers pirate and the other as Bristol City's confusingly-named mascot Scrumpy the Robin. Unfortunately neither football club would give us permission to desecrate their poor mascots.
The main obstacle to forming a relationship with a voice-activated computer assistant is embarrassment... It's the awkwardness of the interaction: It's impossible to talk to an electronic device without feeling ridiculous. Try it in public, and worry that anyone in earshot assumes you've had a full-on breakdown.
At the end of 2011, I heard about a new documentary being made by a director called Mark Hartley. It was to be called Electric Boogaloo and tell the story of notorious B movie production company Cannon Films, who made classics like Missing In Action with Chuck Norris and American Ninja amongst hundreds of others.
Our growing insistence on giving each other prizes is creating a culture that's beginning to seem like Sports Day at a progressive kindergarten, where no child goes home empty-handed, even if they fell over before their race began.
The whole humour in Allo Allo is based on the British cast executing extremely bad French and German impersonations. In The Monuments Men acclaimed actress Cate Blanchett pulls off one of the most hilarious stunts in her career by pretending to be French while Matt Damon hits the nail on the head with a purposely bad French accent.
Art theft and forgery have long had sexy celluloid reputations: from Peter O'Toole and Audrey Hepburn frolicking in How to Steal a Million to the Thom...
Among the things that Comcast own are, as of January 2001 when they acquired a 51% majority stake in media conglomerate NBCUniversal followed by the remaining 49% in March 2013, the Universal Parks and Resorts.
Clair Denis's intimate dramas are always eagerly awaited and 'Bastards' is no exception - a revenge drama about family ties, suicide and sexual abuse will frustrate, annoy, intrigue and mesmerise. 'Love is in the Air' in contrast is a predictable slickly directed romcom which proved to be amusing, charming and quite delightful.
Playing the notoriously uncool music critic Lester Bangs in Cameron Crowe's 2000 film Almost Famous, Philip Seymour Hoffman remarks, 'great art is about conflict and pain and guilt and longing'. Found dead, alone, and with a needle of heroin in his arm in his New York apartment this month, the conflict and pain that linked so many of Hoffman's characters began to resonate with the final image of the man himself.
The famously neurotic director has not been accused by anyone else of sexual assault, his loving wife Soon-Yi defends their relationship vigorously and he will probably never be charged, let alone found guilty of what he's been accused of. But between what has been alleged by Dylan and what we know of Soon-Yi, who among us will ever think of him in the same way again?