Wild garlic season may just be the highlight of the spring for me. As much as I adore asparagus and Jersey Royals, there is something so alluring about shards of garlicky green leaf growing free in the wilderness.
For any garlic lover, this is about as good as it gets. Garlic flavoured salad leaves! Soon after the wild garlic, the wet garlic comes out to play and I do adore it's simplicity at being sliced like a spring onion, no pesky peeling and crushing. But even that can't overshadow the wonder that is wild garlic, so versatile, it can act as a herb, a salad leaf, a green vegetable and for any true garlic fiends, makes wonderful midday crunching.
I love to use wild garlic in curries and pastas, but more recently have come to love it in rice where it adds it's fragrance so delicately. This was a new use for me though, sauteed up with crisp courgettes, juicy onions and meaty mushrooms and seitan for an out of this world fajita filling!
I used the BFree Fajita Kit, which has the most incredible smoky bbq scented spice mix that is sure to please even the fussiest taste buds!
The kit is low fat and high in fibre and free from the five most common food allergens - wheat, dairy, egg, nut and soy and is of course, vegan friendly too!
I made these a bit different that I usually would. Sometimes, it's fun to mix things up, and where as I love a tray of fajitas and all the additions, guacamole, vegan cheese and sour cream, crisp lettuce and salsa, sometimes you just need a hearty, fast, nutritious meal. So I made a super saucy filling that was so complete, it didn't need anything but a little vegan cheese and perhaps some crisp iceberg lettuce.
Feel free to sub the seitan according to any allergies and preferences, tofu, vegan quorn and more mushrooms would be great alternatives.
- 1 x smoky bbq fajita kit
- 1 block of seitan
- 3 medium-large courgettes
- 1 large onion
- 1 punnet or large handful of mushrooms
- 1 large handful wild garlic leaves (or use spinach and extra garlic)
- Vegan cheddar, to serve
- Optional additions - crunchy lettuce, extra salsa, guacamole, vegan sour cream
- Cube the seitan, slice the courgettes, onions and mushrooms.
- Heat a very large frying pan or a wok over a high heat. Mist with a little oil spray and add the seitan and vegetables, a little at a time so as not to overcrowd the pan, so they colour a little but remain nice and crisp.
- Add the seasoning and sauté for a minute until fragrant then add a couple of tablespoons of water to deglaze the pan and scrape all the flavours up. Add the sachets of salsa to the pan and stir to heat through.
- Finally, tear in the wild garlic and allow to just wilt in the sauce. Let reduce until a thick sauce surrounds all the veg and seitan.
- Warm the tortillas according to package directions, slice vegan cheese into each and then pile on the saucy mixture and any other toppings.
- Fold up and devour...
I love to hear from you and connect with new bloggers and readers! Why not leave a comment below or connect with me on social media?
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more