'Hakuna Matata - No worries, for the rest of your days'....is not the only lesson colourfully brought into our life by Disney. Here are 15 more flurries of positivity we can live by, to give us the perseverance to keep pushing on: because everybody needs a little pick-me-up sometimes!
1. "Dig a little deeper."- Winnie the Pooh, Winnie the Pooh
Travelling is laborious, and that's on a good day! You may have been walking for what seems like years under a scorching spotlight, lugging a bag that weighs more than you. The last thing on earth you want to do now is walk for a further hour. You've got to remember that you always have a little bit more energy left than you think. Take a deep breath and push through, reach the top of that mountain and the rest will taste that much sweeter!
2. 'Look inside yourself (Simba). You are more than what you have become.' - Mufasa, The Lion King
Don't doubt yourself just because you had a tough day. Don't underestimate your ability by forgetting to see the bigger picture. Don't allow yourself to forget the incredible journey that you have taken to lead you to where you are right now in this moment. Cherish that.
3. 'Even miracles take a little time.' - Fairy Godmother, Cinderella
We're living in a technologically fuelled world where everything is so instantaneous. This has left us with an expectation for instant gratification, but we should remind ourselves that 'Rome was not built in a day.' Everybody wants to see immediate results and this is not always the case, especially when travelling. Teaching in a school? You probably won't see, or realise, the incredible impact you have had on the pupils until it is time to say your emotional goodbyes. Be patient. Your results will come!
4. 'In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun.' - Mary Poppins, Mary Poppins
Don't take things too seriously! Travelling will definitely throw you some curve balls, but it will also fill you with the wholehearted deep-pitted belly laughter and amazing memories that you will find yourself reminiscing over for the rest of your life. Take it all in your stride and give everything a try. Just say yes!
5. "To laugh at yourself is to love yourself" - Mickey Mouse, Mickey Mouse
Being able to laugh instead of immediately placing blame allows you to forgive yourself for any mistakes - and you are going to make loads! Nobody's perfect. You need to be able to rely on yourself for a bit of self-courage. In years to come you're going to remember the stories you laughed about so much more than the tears you may have shed.
6. "Venture out of your comfort zone. The rewards are worth it" - Rapunzel, Tangled
You won't ever find anything better if you don't try something new. Travelling is going to open your eyes and mind to things you never even imagined, whilst also giving you an appreciation for where you have been. Get out there and conquer your fears!
7. "The very things that hold you down are going to lift you up" - Timothy Mouse, Dumbo
The hardest moments that happen in our lives teach us the most valuable lessons, but we must ensure that we learn from them. This way the next time we are faced with a similar problem, we will know exactly how to deal with it.
8. 'You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.' - Christopher Robin, Winnie the Pooh
Self-belief is key. When travelling, you are going to be forcefully thrust into situations that are completely alien to you and you've got to trust your gut instincts. Mummy and daddy aren't with you anymore, you are going to have to rely on your own adaptability, wipe away your own tears and confront problems head on. You will come out the other side victorious.
9. "Yes the past can hurt. But you can either run from it, or learn from it" - Rafiki, Lion King
Trying to forget a bad memory may seem like the easiest option, but the likelihood is that you're going to run straight back around into it; it's only a matter of time. If you can't put that hammock up, don't just sit and cry about it, get up and do it again. Keep doing it until you can!
10. "You control your destiny - you don't need magic to do it. And there are no magical shortcuts to solving your problems" - Merida, Brave
You are solely responsible for your life. Face your fears bravely.
11. "You must not let anyone define your limits because of where you come from. Your only limit is your soul" - Gusteau, Ratatouille
The great thing about travelling is that you get to meet and mingle with so many people from ALL over the world and immerse yourself in other cultures. People working together on volunteering projects are more than just individuals, they are one team, working collaboratively in order to achieve. The end goal becomes the most important thing.
12. "You think the only people who are people, are the people who look and think like you. But if you walked the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew you never knew." - Pocahontas, Pocahontas
Remember to stay open-minded as you wind and explore your way round and through different cities and countries. Travelling takes everything that you thought you knew, and turns it on its head. It teaches you not to trust the things that you read, or even what you are told. You must experience it all for yourself and it's wonderful!
13. "Do not be fooled by its commonplace appearance" - Aladdin, Aladdin
Do not prematurely judge anything or anyone because things and people may not be what they seem. The world is full of beautiful people with beautiful stories to tell, give yourself a chance to know them.
14. "A little consideration, a little thought for others, makes all the difference" - Eeyore, Winnie the pooh
Smiling is free. If somebody drops something, try and get it back to them. If somebody is slightly short of money, if you have it, offer it. If someone looks as though they are struggling with a lot of luggage, help them. Do whatever you can manage. The little acts of kindness can change the world.
15. "Just keep swimming" - Dory, Finding Nemo
You've got to keep going, always, no matter what. It's that simple.
When travelling we face the toughest times of our lives; with nothing but our skin and whatever we can force into a backpack, we are forced to use only what we have. It is a raw kind of survival and is at the core of self-sufficiency. It will change your life, for the better, and introduce you to things you never even dreamed of. What are you waiting for?
By Rebecca MacDonald-Taylor
Check out 'Into the Wild' for more articles like this.