21/12/2009 09:30 GMT | Updated 22/05/2015 10:12 BST

How Was A Toddler Snatched From A Police Station?

Scotland Yard has launched an investigation into how police let a woman walk off with a toddler.

The 18-month-old girl, Audrey Nyanor, went missing from Walworth police station in south London on Thursday.

Officers had arrested her mother, Cynthia Boakye, earlier that day in connection with alleged immigration offences.

A relative was supposed to come to collect the little girl from the station but she was handed to the wrong woman.

The toddler was found safe and well in Harlesden, north London three days later.

A woman has been arrested on suspicion of abduction and is in police custody.

Audrey's grandmother, Agatha Owsuah, 54, from Peckham, south-east London, said the police made a "great mistake".

She questioned why the police had not checked the woman's identity before handing over the child.

"All the time in this country they check your identity," she told the BBC.

"They ask for my ID when I take money from the bank, they ask for ID before you can get a job.

"They should have asked for ID before handing over a human being to someone."

Mrs Owsuah said an officer had asked her daughter who should come to collect Audrey and initially contacted her stepfather, but he was working.

Officers were then given the number of another relation who agreed to come and collect the toddler.

The child was then handed over to a woman who claimed to be that relative.

Audrey's grandmother thinks someone may have overheard the police officer's phone call.

The toddler was found after police appealed for help and a member of the public spotted her.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "While we are pleased to have found Audrey safe and well, we are working closely with colleagues in our Directorate of Professional Standards to investigate the circumstances surrounding this incident, to look at how it happened, and to ensure that any lessons are learned.

"In the meantime, the matter has also been voluntarily referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission."

It does seem incredible that this could have happened. If you can't trust the police to get these things right, who can you trust?

Source: AOL News

Source: BBC