14/12/2010 11:19 GMT | Updated 22/05/2015 06:12 BST

Mum Leaves Stillborn Baby Outside Mosque

A stillborn baby was abandoned outside a mosque in Shelton, West Midlands, because his mother did not want her new husband to know she was pregnant.

Nur Yazid told police she did not know she was expecting a baby when her labour started, and thought she had period pains. When her little boy was stillborn on her bathroom floor, she wrapped him in newspaper and left him outside the Makki Masjid Mosque with a twenty pound note and a letter saying 'please bury him'.

Mrs Yazid delivered the baby boy at their Shelton home while her husband was working nights at Asda.

An Iman at the Mosque discovered the baby and called the police some ten hours later. Mrs Yazid was traced when forensics discovered her husband's fingerprints on the newspaper the baby was wrapped in.

The couple were arrested three weeks after the baby was found, but no charges were brought as the little boy - who was named Ali Ali Abdullah - was stillborn.

An inquest heard that couple, who came to the UK from Malaysia, had married in 2009 after a long relationship. Mrs Yazid arrived in the UK to live with her husband, Adli, in December. She was said to have known the baby was not her husband's because they had been living apart before their wedding.

Detective Constable Kirsty Burton said: 'She said she didn't know she was pregnant and thought she had severe period cramps. She went to the toilet because her stomach was hurting. It was so painful she sat on the bathroom floor, and then there was a baby on the floor. She thought he was dead, he wasn't moving and made no noise. She said he was blue. She said she was panicking because she didn't want her husband to find out. She wanted to take him to someone who could take care of him. She didn't know how to process a funeral and knew there was a mosque nearby, so she decided to leave him there."

Mrs Yazid told police the umbilical cord had been wrapped around the baby's neck.

North Staffordshire coroner Ian Smith ruled that baby Ali had been stillborn.

Mr and Mrs Yazid did not attend the inquest and are believed to have returned to Malaysia.