24/03/2011 12:23 GMT | Updated 22/05/2015 10:12 BST

Six-Month-Old Baby Dies After Being Moved Out Of Intensive Care To Make Space

A six-month-old baby girl died after hospital staff moved her out of an intensive care unit to 'make space'.

An inquest has heard how nurses begged doctors to put tiny Julia Gujdanoca back into specialist care after she was moved to a general ward.

She had been in an incubator in the Intensive Care Unit in Sheffield Children's Hospital suffering from MRSA when she was removed to make way for other patients on what was described as a 'busy night'.

ICU staff had told nurses on the general children's ward that baby Julia was 'stable' when she was moved there at
12.30am, but her condition rapidly deteriorated.

The Senior nurse in charge of the children's ward, Bethany West, told Sheffield Coroner's Court: 'She became unsettled and began crying intensely - I've never seen a child cry like that before. It was such a tiring cry that I feared that she would crash.'

By 3am nursing staff feared for her health and Nurse West telephoned the Intensive Care Unit to ask for help from their staff. When none was forthcoming, Nurse West was put through to medical registrar, Dr Lesley Peers.

She said: 'When Dr Peers came, all the nurses off the ward were there and we said 'you need to transfer her back'. Dr Peers responded by saying it was a nursing issue. I remember that because it made me angry.'

Another nurse, Sarah Marks, told the inquest: 'I felt useless. I felt she didn't believe what we were doing and felt she didn't trust us. It was quite demoralising really.'

The Intensive Care Unit eventually accepted Julia back onto the ward at 5.45am, where she suffered a fatal heart attack just minutes later.

Dr Faith Harries from the ICU said: 'I think we did the best for her with the resources that were available,' but added that Julia did not receive the right level of care that evening.

Pathologist Dr Cohen said that Julia's condition was never formally diagnosed. She recorded the cause of death as a 'complex syndrome of genetic origin'.

The inquest continues.