You will need:
2 chicken breasts (total weight 200g)
100 ml (3½ fl oz) milk, plus 1 tablespoon
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon thyme leaves
1 tablespoon lemon juice
45g Rice Krispies
30g Parmesan, grated
4 tablespoons plain flour
3–4 tablespoons sunflower oil, for frying
Makes 4 portions
1. Cut the chicken breasts into 1.5 cm (½ inch) cubes and put them into a bowl. Mix together the milk, garlic, thyme, lemon juice, ¼ teaspoon salt and some black pepper and pour over the chicken.
2. Cover, refrigerate and leave to marinate for 2 hours, or overnight.
3. Put the Rice Krispies in a plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin until they are reduced to fine crumbs. Add the cheese, plus salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a large plate.
4. Whisk the egg in a small bowl with 1 tablespoon of milk. Mix the flour with a little salt and pepper and spread it out on a large plate. Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade, shaking off any excess.
5. Toss in the seasoned flour, then dip in the egg and roll in the Rice Krispie coating. Put the oil in a large non-stick pan over a medium heat and fry the nuggets for 2–3 minutes each side, until golden and crisp and the chicken is cooked through. Drain on kitchen paper and cool slightly before serving.
Recipe taken from Annabel's Kitchen, published by Ebury Press, £12.99 to accompany a new CiTV series airing daily at 3.30pm and on ITV1 on Sundays at 7.10am. For more information visit www.annabelkarmel.com.
More on Parentdish:
Annabel Karmel's goldfish cupcakes
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW PARENTS
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements. Learn more