20/02/2012 10:10 GMT | Updated 08/05/2012 13:15 BST

After David Haye And Dereck Chisora's Brawl Here's 10 Other Great British Sporting Scandals (PICTURES)

David Haye and Dereck Chisora's Bavarian brawl could result in life-bans for the boxing duo.

In light of their antics at the weekend, here's ten other British scandals which shamed the sport.


Rugby Union side Harlequins used fake blood capsules to enforce a replacement kicker in an April 2009 Heineken Cup match against the Irish side Leinster.

During the quarter final, 'Quins wing Tom Williams came off the field with what turned out to be a faked blood injury to initiate a tactical substitution that enabled Nick Evans to re-enter the field having earlier gone off injured.

An investigation by the European Rugby Cup and the Rugby Football Union concluded that blood injuries had also been faked by the club on four previous occasions These findings resulted in a a three-year ban for former director of rugby Dean Richards, a 12-month ban for Williams (reduced to 4 months on appeal), and a two-year ban for physiotherapist Steph Brennan as well as a £260,000 fine for the club.

Chairman Charles Jillings then tendered his resignation while the club doctor Wendy Chapman was suspended by the GMC for cutting Williams's lip to hide his use of the blood capsule. It is set to endure its notoriety as one of the most shocking exposés of cheating in British sport.

Andrew Flintoff and the pedalo

A World Cup synonymous with the mysterious death of Pakistan coach Bob Woolmer, England's disastrous 2007 Cricket World Cup campaign in the West Indies had already taken a turn for the farcical. Vice-captain Andrew Flintoff was sacked from his role and banned for one game when, after some late-night drinking with fellow squad members and staff two days before a must-win game against Canada, he fell off of a pedalo in his drunken state.

He then got into difficulties in the water and was reported to even have been rescued after his fall, sparking the incident known as "Fredalo".

The Lancashire all-rounder, who was memorably intoxicated during the England Test team's visit to Downing Street after the 2005 Ashes series win, had been warned as to his conduct by England coach Duncan Fletcher, whilst captain Michael Vaughan later revealed that the pedalo incident had adversely affected team morale. England were eliminated at the Super 8 stage.

Kenny Dalglish/Luis Suárez

In a season which has been marred by the topic of racism, Liverpool Football Club emerged as the antagonists thanks to their misguided support, led by manager Kenny Dalglish, of their Urguayan striker.

Suárez was found guilty of racially abusing Manchester United defender Patrice Evra in an October league match at Anfield, and hit with an eight-match ban and £40,000 fine. Yet rather than opt for dignified Shankly-style in-house support, Liverpool chose to wash their laundry in public.

The FA's commission labelled Suárez's defence that he referred to Evra as a "negro" in a conciliatory manner as "simply incredible". However Dalglish and the Reds squad wore T-shirts in support of their team mate during an evening match at Wigan Athletic, a gesture that was highly criticised.

When the north-west rivals met for the return clash at Old Trafford just over a week ago, Suárez - the racial abuser - refused to shake the racially abused - Evra - 's hand. Dalglish got in to a slanging match with Sky's Geoff Shreeves after the game when he was questioned as to the wisdom of the player's ignorance, but the Scot apologised the following day. As too did Suárez, as pressure on the club mounted to such an extent that The New York Times preached on their conduct.

McLaren and Spygate

Also known as "Stepneygate", the 2007 Formula One espionage controversy involved allegations that the McLaren Formula One team received confidential technical information from the Ferrari team, and that the Renault F1 team was in turn passed confidential technical information from McLaren.

Ferrari initially made allegations against former employee Nigel Stepney, a senior McLaren engineer, Mike Coughlan, and his wife Trudy Coughlan regarding stolen technical information.

An FIA hearing into the matter took place in July 2007 but did not result in any penalty for McLaren, yet a second hearing took place two months later and resulted in several punishments for the team. The most notable of these were the team's exclusion from the 2007 Constructors' Championship and a record-breaking fine of $100m.

Stepney himself was sentenced to a year and eight months in prison as well as a £500 fine.

England and the dwarves

A squad outing to a Queenstown nightclub ended in infamy for the England rugby team during the 2011 World Cup in New Zealand.

Recently married to the Queen's granddaughter Zara Phillips, Tindall was a spectator at the 'Mad Midget Weekender' along with a plethora of squad members. Pictures posted on Altitude Bar's Facebook site showed several England players in a boisterous mood, but a team official insisted the night out had the management's blessing.

One of The Sun's "sources" however claimed that: "One particularly beautiful blonde went straight for Mike. But rather than reject her advances, unfortunately he was extremely responsive."

In November, Tindall was fined £25,000 by the RFU and removed from its elite player squad as a result of his behaviour. His appeal partly succeeded as his suspension from the England squad was set aside and his fine was reduced to £15,000.

In addition to his indiscretion, another incident saw James Haskell, Dylan Hartley and Chris Ashton were reprimanded and made to formally apologise for making inappropriate comments to a hotel worker. Centre Manu Tuilagi too was fined £4,800 by World Cup officials for wearing a sponsored mouthguard, and then a day after the quarter-final loss to France was formally warned by police and fined £3,000 by England rugby officials after jumping from a ferry in Auckland.

10 British Sporting Scandals

Rusedski's rant

Another dismal year for British tennis at Wimbledon at least included some colour as Greg Rusedski turned the air blue with an obscene tirade at an umpire, broadcast live by BBC cameras.

The Candian-born's best volley of the tournament was saved for his 6-7, 6-7, 5-7 elimination at the hands of Andy Roddick. Britain's No 2 was 5-2 up with a break of serve in the third set when a spectator called "out" on a baseline drive from Roddick. Rusedski played on, lost the point, lost the game and lost the set (eventually), but rounded on the umpire. He hollered: "I can't do anything if the crowd f*****g calls it." Four more expletives burst into the tea-time living rooms.

Terry burns bridges with Wayne

No stranger to controversy having heckled American tourists after 9/11, been acquitted of assault and affray, parked in a disabled bay and urinated into a beer glass on a nightclub's dancefloor, John Terry opted for something completely different to add to his rap sheet.

Stripped of the England captaincy again recently, the first occasion Terry lost the armband in 2010 was an altogether soapier affair worthy of Eastenders. A Footballers' Wives storyline-come-to-life, Terry was alleged to have had an extra-marital affair with ex-Chelsea colleague Wayne Bridge's ex-girlfriend Vanessa Perroncel, also mother to Bridge's son.

Although Fabio Capello handed the role of captain to Rio Ferdinand, Terry remained available for international selection while Bridge, a contender for reserve left-back at the 2010 World Cup, retired from international football. The opprobrium reserved for Terry was equal to the outpouring of sympathy for Bridge.

A month after the story was revealed and just as the flames subsided, they rose again. The Blues hosted Bridge's present club Manchester City and, although no longer a regular in Roberto Mancini's side, Bridge was starting. Come the pre-match handshakes, supporters watched on intently as the left-back blanked his former colleague prior to City's 4-2 win.

Lee Hughes' imprisonment

During the 2003/04 season, Hughes was involved in a car crash in which his Mercedes CL500 collided with a Renault Scénic near the village of Meriden in the West Midlands. Douglas Graham, a passenger in the Renault, was killed in the incident whilst his wife Maureen and driver Albert Frisby were severely injured. Hughes and his passenger left the scene, before turning themselves in to the police the following day.

Hughes was charged with causing death by dangerous driving and released on police bail, before, in early August 2004, he was found guilty of causing the death by dangerous driving of Mr Graham, as well as leaving the scene of an accident. He was sentenced to six years imprisonment and was banned from driving for ten years, whilst his club, West Bromwich Albion, terminated his contract.

Hughes made a public apology upon his release and confirmed that during his time in prison he met the Douglas Graham's daughter.

Kevin Yates offers Bath bite

In the 1997/98 English Premiership, Yates was given an eight-month ban (reduced to six on appeal) after biting the left earlobe of London Scottish flanker Simon Fenn in January 1998. Yates pleaded his innocence, however he was suspended by Bath. His front row colleagues Federico Mendez and Victor Ubogu were so angered that their reputations had also been dragged through the mire that they threatened legal action.

Ironically despite the unrest that unravelled at the Recreation Ground, the club went on to become the first English winners of the Heineken Cup later that same month under current Scotland coach Andy Robinson.

Yates, then 26, had an auspicious international career ahead of him, but only went on to make four caps with England, his last against South Africa in 2007. His misdemeanour came less than a year after Mike Tyson infamously bit part of Evander Holyfield's ear off during his WBA rematch with the defending champion.

Bobby Moore and the bracelet

Gentlemanly, committed yet sporting, Bobby Moore was the model professional and emblem of English football's finest achievement.

When, prior to the 1970 World Cup in Mexico, he was accused of stealing a £600 ($1,500) bracelet from the Green Fire shop in Bogota's Tequendama Hotel, his squeaky-clean reputation was in severe jeopardy.

The England captain was charged and placed under house arrest at the home of a local football official as a result of accusations levelled by the shop owner Danilo Rojas, but was freed three days later so that he could play in the tournament.

The chief of police, Jaime Ramirez, indicated Moore had been the victim of a set-up and that witness Alvaro Suarez had been paid by Mr Rojas to testify against the West Ham United footballer. Theories about the ordeal ranged from plans to either blackmail Moore to gain publicity for the jewellery store, to intentions of damaging England's morale ahead of the World Cup.