Costa Allegra: As Cruise Liner Docks, Passengers Describe How They Ate Salami 'Morning Noon And Evening' (PICTURES)

One of the first passengers off the Costa Allegra has described how "horrible" the conditions were on board the ill-fated liner.

As the Costa Allegra docked in the Seychelles after a fire in the electrical generator room left the ship without power, an unnamed woman told Sky News how the passengers ate salami and white bread "morning, noon and evening" with no toilet facilities.

Another passenger Danke Alena, 62, from Belgium said that many passengers were forced to sleep on deck because the cabins 'stank.' She told the Telegraph: "They really smelt, it was terrible, but it was because there was no water and we couldn't flush the toilets."

The unnamed woman told Sky News that passengers were sunbathing on deck when the fire broke out and then they saw "terrible smoke coming out of the chimney".

The alarm then sounded, and while the crew went to their stations, the passengers went down to theirs cabin to get their life jackets.

It was "very well organised at the beginning" the unnamed woman told Sky News. However then she said that the 627 passengers were left "waiting and waiting and waiting" before the crew let down the lifeboats.

At the beginning she said they all believed they were going to get off the boat.

Describing the conditions on board, she said: "There was no light, no air conditioning, nothing.

"There was no toilet, that was horrible. It was very, very hot, it was really bad. Everyone slept on deck or in hallways, where there was a slight breeze. We couldn't stay in our cabins in was just too hot. "

However, she said she was not scared and was not "thinking of the other accident."

She explained how sharing information around the boat "was difficult" because they couldn't even get announcements over the PA. Although there were no hot water facilities, they had "plenty of water" to drink, and in the beginning they had a lot of fruit, as a helicopter dropped off supplies.

However speaking to reporters on the dock she admitted "I don’t want to see another salami for a long time."

The cruise liner is operated by Costa Cruises, the same company that owned the Costa Concordia, which ran aground on the Tuscan coast on 13 January, killing 32 people.

Travel agents have rushed to meet the passengers disembarking off the cruise liner. Guillaume Albert, head of Seychelles-based Creole Travel Services, said: "The focus of the operation is to get them a warm meal and a shower."

He went on: "I think the happy ending is the people coming off the boat."

However the Telegraph reports that it was "chaos" as the passengers disembarked, with journalists rushing forward to hear reports from the Allegra's weary passengers.

The 31 UK citizens on board the Italian vessel were met by British High Commissioner Matthew Forbes. All but one of the British passengers opted to stay on in the Seychelles, though many of the 627 passengers are expected to fly home. No one was injured in the fire.

Jayne Thomas, whose daughter was stranded on the ship just weeks after her son was evacuated from the Costa Concordia, said that she has received a text from her daughter since the boat had docked, reassuring her that she was OK.

Rebecca Thomas was working as a dancer on board the Costa Allegra when the electrical generator room caught fire, leaving the boat stranded. It was a case of disaster striking twice for the mother of two, who son is now living at home recovering from the mental trauma he sustained after working on the Costa Concordia, which ran aground in January.

However although passengers disembarked first, her daughter is expected to but be on a flight to Europe tonight, her mother told Sky News.

James Thomas, who was working n the Costa Concordia when it capsized.

The cruise liner, which was adrift in the Indian Ocean after the fire, was originally meant to dock at the luxury island resort of Desroches. However with only limited accommodation, and a small port, it was decided that it was too risky to attempt to dock the 188-metre boat.