23/04/2012 09:01 BST | Updated 23/04/2012 09:02 BST

Fabrice Muamba Gives First Interview Since Suffering Cardiac Arrest

Fabrice Muamba has given his first interview since he suffered a cardiac arrest last month.

Bolton midfielder Muamba collapsed on 17 March whilst playing against Tottenham in the FA Cup quarter-final at White Hart Lane, and recalled his death scare in an interview with The Sun on Sunday.

“I could see Spurs players running around in the distance and saw two Scott Parkers then two Luka Modriches," he said

“That was when I realised something was seriously wrong.”

“There were a few chances and with the score at 1-1 I still felt we could have pulled off an upset. That’s when I got the first feeling that something wasn’t right. I ran upfield to try to get on the end of a cross from Martin Petrov on our left wing and as I ran back into midfield I felt very slightly dizzy.

"It wasn’t normal dizziness — it was a kind of surreal feeling like I was running along inside someone else’s body. It’s hard to explain.

"Then I made another burst forward and noticed it again — that dizzy feeling again. But then my vision started to go.

"I had no pain whatsoever. No clutching at my chest or tightness like you see when people have heart attacks in movies. Just an odd feeling that’s impossible to explain.

"Then I started to see double. It felt almost like a dream. There was no one anywhere near me when I started to feel myself falling. The last thing I heard was our defender Dedryck Boyata screaming at me to get back to help out in defence.

"He obviously had no idea what was happening to me and neither had I.

Ex-England Under-21 international Muamba's heart stopped working independently for over an hour as he was moved to the London Chest Hospital.

It took 15 defibrillator shocks from paramedics - two on the pitch and 13 in the ambulance - to bring his body back to life.

The 24-year-old was discharged last Monday - 31 days after the incident - and reaffirmed his faith in religion.

“I am walking proof of the power of prayer," he claimed.

"Someone up there was watching over me. On the morning of the game I prayed with my father and asked God to protect me - and he didn’t let me down.”