07/05/2012 10:20 BST

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Suspected Of Killing Teenage Girl At Shropshire Campsite

Detectives are investigating what caused a campsite tragedy which left a teenage girl dead and her family in hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

The girl's family, who remain in hospital after exposure to carbon monoxide, were discovered unconscious in their tent at a Shropshire campsite shortly before 10am on Sunday.

The girl, believed to be 14 years old, was pronounced dead at the scene, despite efforts by a doctor staying on the site and paramedics to revive her after she suffered a cardiac arrest.

Her brother and their parents were taken to the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital, where they were last night said to be in a stable condition.

West Mercia Police said the death was being treated as unexplained but not suspicious.

Detective Inspector Gavin Kinrade said: "Although our work at the scene concluded yesterday afternoon, we will continue to work with the Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service to investigate this incident.

"We are treating the girl's death as unexplained, but there do not appear to be any suspicious circumstances. It is therefore unlikely we will have any longer term involvement with this incident."

The owners of the site, in the village of Bucknell, said a disposable barbecue was found in the porch of the family's tent.

campsite carbon monoxide

The family had apparently left a disposable barbecue in the porch of their tent

Phil and Debra Wright, who own the Baron at Bucknell pub and its adjacent campsite, said the family was part of a larger group made up of the mother's two sisters and their respective partners and children, staying in a number of tents on the site.

In a brief statement released through the hospital, the extended family said the incident had "devastated" them and requested privacy to deal with the tragedy.

Mr Wright said the group had arrived at the site on Saturday but relatives had become concerned when nobody in the family's tent awoke yesterday morning.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokeswoman said: "Crews arrived at the campsite to find CPR being carried out on a girl who was in cardiac arrest.

"Ambulance crews continued resuscitation efforts in an attempt to restart the girl's heart. Sadly, despite their best efforts nothing could be done to save the girl and she was confirmed dead on scene."