15/05/2012 06:25 BST | Updated 15/05/2012 06:33 BST

Anders Breivik Survivor Marius Hoft Tells Of Cliff Escape From Killer's Rampage (PICTURE)

An 19-year-old boy has told how he survived Anders Breivik’s wave of killings by clinging to the edge of a cliff.

Marius Hoft balanced on the bluff edge off Norway’s Utoya Island as Breivik carried out his rampage. He had been on the island attending a Labour party youth camp when the tragedy unfolded and was forced to jump over dead bodies as he rushed towards the cliff.

As Breivik roamed the island above him, Hoft witnessed his best friend Andreas fall to his death from the same ledge, Sky News reported.

He told a Norwegian court on Monday: “I started crying but decided to wait with the tears until I was in safety. I decided to stay alive.”

Scroll down for more pictures from the Utoya massacre

Anders Breivik, pictured smiling in court, denies he is criminally responsible for the killings

Today Frida Holm Skoglund told Oslo district court she had been shot in the thigh by Breivik, and that she had pulled the bullet out herself.

She survived after diving into the icy waters surrounding the island and swimming away from Breivik, the Herald Sun reported.

Breivik is being tried for the bomb and shooting attacks that killed 77 people on July 22.

Last week a man whose brother was killed in the massacre hurled a shoe at Breivik and urged him to “go to hell”.

Breivik has admitted killing eight people in a bomb attack on Oslo, and shooting dead 69 others including many children at a political youth camp on Utoya island, on 22 July 2011.

The 33-year-old denies his is criminally responsible for the killings, and said the political camp was a fair target because of the country's Labour Party's multicultural policies.

It is thought that the trial is centred on whether he will be legally declared insane, as it will determine if he is sent to prison for a maximum of 21 years or a psychiatric institution.

The court has been hearing from survivors of the attacks on Utoya, with many members of the public and victims' families left in tears by the testimony.