30/05/2012 10:13 BST | Updated 30/05/2012 10:13 BST

Premier League Defender Titus Bramble Says Sexual Assault Accuser Was 'Touchy Feelie And Flirty'

Premier League footballer Titus Bramble today said a woman who accused him of sexual assault was "touchy feelie and flirty" and kissed him "passionately" as they shared a taxi from a nightclub.

The Sunderland defender told a court she put her hand on his crotch during the journey and at no point did she tell him to stop.

Bramble, 30, is on trial accused of grabbing a woman's bottom in the Cross Keys nightclub in Yarm, Teesside, then repeatedly sexually assaulting another woman in a taxi home.

He denies all four charges.

Giving evidence at Teesside Crown Court, Bramble said of the second alleged assault in the cab: "We were kissing. We kissed a couple of times passionately.

"She was touching me and putting my hand on her leg."

He said the woman, who he had met before, also touched his crotch.

Bramble said her mood then changed, adding: "She then said that she wanted to go to an address and that she wasn't happy."

The taxi driver believed something was wrong and drove the pair to a police station, jurors have been told.

The court has already heard evidence from both complainants.

The first, who was in the Cross Keys, said she felt someone grope her bottom and turned to see Bramble "smirking", which made her "very uncomfortable".

Bramble denies it was him.

She reported the incident after the other woman claimed she was assaulted in a taxi by the Sunderland star, which they caught in Yarm on the same night - September 28 last year.

During the journey, he put his hand up her dress without her consent and twice forced her hand on to his groin, which made her "really scared", she told the jury.

Taxi driver Abid Hussain yesterday said he felt the woman "needed help" so he diverted to Stockton police station.

The alleged victim locked herself in a toilet and Bramble, of Wynyard near Middlesbrough, was arrested.

The footballer, who has played for Ipswich, Newcastle and Wigan Athletic, made no comment during police interviews, except to deny the charges.

The trial, scheduled to end on Friday, continues.