07/10/2012 12:23 BST | Updated 09/10/2012 06:05 BST

Lancashire Teenage Girl Has Stomach Removed After Drinking Liquid Nitrogen Cocktail

An 18-year-old had part of her stomach removed and is seriously ill in hospital after drinking a cocktail with liquid nitrogen in it.

According to the West Morland Gazette the girl, from Heysham, named in media reports as Gabby Scanlon, had been on a night out with friends and developed severe stomach pain after drinking the alcohol mixture.

She is now said to be seriously ill but stable in hospital.

Emergency operation: Gaby Scanlon

According to ITV news the drink also contained Jaegermeister.

Cooling liquid nitrogen has been used in some luxury cocktails around the world and freezes everything it comes into contact with.

A Lancashire Police spokesperson said: "The investigation is still in its early stages and we are still interviewing witnesses to establish the full facts.

"The premises involved have fully cooperated with all agencies and have suspended drinks involving liquid nitrogen."

The 18-year-old girl was reportedly rushed to hospital after her stomach ruptured (stock photo)