23/10/2012 10:03 BST | Updated 22/05/2015 06:12 BST

Mum Was Told Her Post-Birth Bleeding Was Normal - But She Nearly Died

Mum was told her post-birth bleeding was normal - but she nearly died

A new mum has told how she nearly died after a hospital blunder left her haemorrhaging two weeks after the birth of her son.

Megan Hubbard, 23, from Thamesmead gave birth to George on September 10 at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Woolwich.

When she went home after his arrival, she bled heavily for two weeks.


She returned to the hospital five times as she was so concerned by the amount of blood she was losing.


She alleges that each time she was told it was normal post birth bleeding.

On September 24, she attended the hospital's accident and emergency department where she was told she had an infection in her womb and given antibiotics.

Later that day, Megan and her family went to a restaurant to celebrate George's birth. As she ate her meal, Megan collapsed and began to haemorrhage.

She told her local paper that she lost three-and-a-half litres of blood and required a blood transfusion when she arrived at hospital, where some of her placenta was found in her womb.

She said the hospital failed her in not correctly diagnosing what was wrong with her when she first brought her bleeding to their attention.

"I drive and could have been in the car with my son and collapsed, that scares me," she said, "The hospital really did fail me. They said it was a womb infection and I nearly lost my life from it."

The mum-of-one said she has not received an apology from the health authority, and that she had been through a 'really traumatic time'.

"I was away from my baby quite a bit in those two weeks," she said, "I was really weak and couldn't pick him up because blood was gushing out all the time - I had no strength at all. It stopped me bonding with him. It's only the last few weeks I've been able to."

Miss Hubbard has now written to the head of midwifery at the hospital to complain about the treatment she received. She is also considering taking legal action.

A spokesman from South London Healthcare Trust said they are investigating 'the circumstances around the care and treatment of Ms Hubbard'.