Police Looking For Georgia Williams Are 'Gravely Concerned' About Missing Teenager


There are grave concerns for the welfare of a 17-year-old girl feared kidnapped, say police.

Georgia Williams has not been seen since Sunday night when she told her parents she was going to see friends, West Mercia Police said.

A 22-year-old man was arrested in Glasgow today on suspicion of kidnapping the girl and remains in custody.

Police say they are "gravely concerned"

Superintendent Nav Malik, one of the senior officers on the case, said: "We are gravely concerned about her disappearance and her parents are naturally very distressed."

He described Georgia, from Wellington, in Shropshire, as a "vulnerable" person, who was "bright" and for whom the disappearance was "completely out of character".

Mr Malik also confirmed Georgia's father is a serving West Mercia Police detective constable, based at Telford.

Mr Malik said the man currently in custody was "a friend" of Georgia's but added he was not her boyfriend.

She had been due to attend a music concert with her boyfriend this week, and she also missed her first driving lesson said Mr Malik.

Officers are trying to piece together the movements of this Toyota van

Georgia was reported missing by her parents yesterday after it became clear she had not been in contact with any of her friends.

Detectives are now trying to piece together the movements of a Toyota van the arrested man had access to, which was seized at the same time as his arrest at a budget hotel in Glasgow city centre.

Mr Malik said officers had managed to trace the van's journey to Scotland, and know it left Wellington at about noon on Monday, heading through Oswestry in Shropshire, to Rhyl, on to Chester, then Cumbria, before arriving in Glasgow.

"We believe it may have stopped at a truck stop on the way," said Mr Malik.

He added it was believed the van belonged to a family member of the arrested man.

Police have released a picture and a description of the Toyota Hiace 300 GS model vehicle, number plate CX06 ASV, and want to know of any sightings of the van, particularly between Sunday night and noon on Monday.

Mr Malik said police were not yet able to determine whether Georgia was in the van, or not.

"We've got the van and it is being forensically examined," he added.

Mr Malik said: "It's really important that if anyone has any information as to where she may be, then we want to hear from them.

"If anyone is in contact with her then please come forward.

"To Georgia - you are not in trouble, please contact the police or your parents.

"We are extremely concerned, we want you to be safe and well."

Mr Malik added Georgia's family, including her two sisters, were "very upset".

"It is a difficult time for them," he said.

"Her father is a police officer but that's not taking away from the investigation - we are looking to trace her."

He also revealed detectives working on the investigation were trying to trace Georgia's mobile phone, which she had when she left home.

"She definitely left home with the phone - we're trying to find it," said Supt Malik.

"We know she was sending texts up until 8pm, about half an hour after she was last physically seen.

"There was a combination of texts and calls, but I cannot say what about."

A semi-detached house in Avondale Road, Wellington, which neighbours said was lived in by a Jamie Reynolds, was today being searched for a second day by forensics officers.