25/03/2014 08:36 GMT | Updated 25/03/2014 08:59 GMT

This Text Sent From Terrified British Malaysia Airlines Passenger Luisa Barbaro

Ground staff take a break under a Malaysia Airlines plane at Kuala Lumpur International Airport in Sepang, Malaysia, Sunday, March 9, 2014. An international fleet of planes and ships scouted the waters between Malaysia and Vietnam for any clues to the fate of the Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777, which disappeared less than an hour after taking off from Kuala Lumpur bound for Beijing on Saturday, March 8. (AP Photo/Lai Seng Sin)

A daughter sent her mother a text telling her how much she loved her as she feared she would die on her Malaysian Airlines flight, after it was forced to make an unscheduled landing.

Jenny Barbaro, from Beckenham, received a text yesterday from her 26-year-old daughter Luisa who was on the flight from Kuala Lumpur to Seoul.

It read: "I love you mummy".

Barbaro told the News Shopper: "She thought she was going to die. She said one of the engines sounded really weird.

"Eventually she phoned me when she was on the ground and said they had made an emergency landing at Hong Kong."

Flight MH066 from Kuala Lumpur to Incheon, Seoul was diverted to Hong Kong on Sunday due to an inoperative aircraft generator.

The unscheduled landing followed further trouble for the beleaguered airline after another flight hit a flock of birds while it was landing in the Nepali capital, Kathmand, on Friday.

MAS media relations manager Kharunnisak Dzun Nurin said in a statement on Monday that the Airbus A330-300 aircraft landed in Hong Kong "uneventfully".

Electrical power continued to be supplied by the auxiliary power unit, she said.

"The aircraft was then diverted to Hong Kong for rectification and landed uneventfully," she added.

The airline has been facing a storm of criticism from families over its handling of the missing MH370 plane, which has not been found more than two weeks after it disappeared en route to Beijing. Yesterday families were told by text that the plane had almost certainly gone down in the Southern Indian Ocean.