23/07/2014 12:12 BST | Updated 20/05/2015 10:12 BST

Thug Who Pointed Shotgun At Mum And Daughter Spared Jail



A violent robber who pointed a sawn-off shotgun at a mum and her seven-year-old daughter has been spared jail – because the judge said he is 'young and impressionable'.

Shopkeeper Ranvir Bassi was terrified when masked Jack Phillips – 17 at the time – burst into her shop at night waving the loaded weapon and demanding money while her daughter Sattreet cowered at her feet.

CCTV footage then shows the brave mum fighting off the raider with her bare hands before chasing him out.

She said at the time:
"It was just horrific. He started shouting, 'Give me the money' and swearing at me.

"I really don't know why I did it, but I guess my mother's instinct took over, my daughter Sattreet was hiding and I just grabbed the gun.

"He had shouted at me to give him the money and I just shouted, 'Get out of my shop' - and started shoving him.

"I must have startled him because he turned and ran out of the shop. He just picked the wrong day to mess with me - I wasn't having him take my hard earned cash."

She said the incident had badly affected her daughter, who suffered from nightmares and flashbacks.

But despite admitting the attempted robbery, a judge gave Phillips, now 18, two years' detention, suspended for two years.



Recorder Michael Elsom said Phillips' age and the fact others told him to commit the crime meant the usual three years' jail for carrying a gun with intent should not be imposed.

He added Phillips may have acted 'under direction of others'.

He said: "Reports suggest you are susceptible to pressure."

At Stafford crown court the judge praised Ranvir's 'extreme bravery' and gave her £500 for her actions in the town in November.

But mum Ranvir, 35, slammed the 'ridiculous' sentence, saying: "It is a ridiculous decision. He terrified my family – my daughter still has nightmares. I don't feel like justice has been served."

Phillips, who moved from Stafford to Middlesbrough, admitted attempted robbery and gun charges. He was ordered to carry out 240 hours' community work and given a curfew.